2 Boston Red Sox $123,505,125
4 Los Angeles Angels $97,725,322
6 St. Louis Cardinals $92,106,833
10 Atlanta Braves $86,457,302
12 Houston Astros $76,779,000
13 Chicago White Sox $75,178,000
16 San Diego Padres $63,290,833

5 Philadelphia Phillies $95,522,000
(i add the phillies because the padres only got in by sucking the least out west)

My question is, what can be done to help balance out baseball? Does it come down to these smaller market teams just need to shell out more cash, or does something need to be done? It seems many teams can get close (Blue Jays, 25th; Indians, 26th; Brewers, 27th), but there has yet to be that small market team get over the hump in the wild card era it seems.

I think this can be a long, good discussion between the intelligent people in this forum. Some of my ideas will come out as the discussion gets started.

dirty
Old 10-04-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Money, Baseball, and Success

[ QUOTE ]
Indians, 26th

[/ QUOTE ]

Won more games than 3 of the NL playoff teams.

[ QUOTE ]
there has yet to be that small market team get over the hump in the wild card era it seems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhh? Florida? And Minnesota has had much success in the wildcard era. But something has to be done about the ridiculous money NYY and Boston spend though.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But something has to be done about the ridiculous money NYY and Boston spend though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't simply limit 2 teams. If they want to cap the league, cap it.

I also think that what gets overlooked is the amount of money Boston and the NYY *EARN* for the league. I remember reading that 25% of all MLB merchandise purchased was NYY gear. I also believe that that revenue is shared amongst the league. I could be wrong, but this is what I remember...
Old 10-04-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The baseball payrolls for the playoff teams are as follows:

1 New York Yankees $208,306,817
2 Boston Red Sox $123,505,125
4 Los Angeles Angels $97,725,322
6 St. Louis Cardinals $92,106,833
10 Atlanta Braves $86,457,302
12 Houston Astros $76,779,000
13 Chicago White Sox $75,178,000
16 San Diego Padres $63,290,833

5 Philadelphia Phillies $95,522,000
(i add the phillies because the padres only got in by sucking the least out west)

My question is, what can be done to help balance out baseball? Does it come down to these smaller market teams just need to shell out more cash, or does something need to be done? It seems many teams can get close (Blue Jays, 25th; Indians, 26th; Brewers, 27th), but there has yet to be that small market team get over the hump in the wild card era it seems.

I think this can be a long, good discussion between the intelligent people in this forum. Some of my ideas will come out as the discussion gets started.

dirty

[/ QUOTE ]
A hard cap seems to work pretty well in the NFL. I don't see how something like could be instituted in baseball though. Seems like the owners have been trying for some time now. The luxury cap money that goes to the teams like the Brewers and Royals is not being re-invested into players, as it was intended to be.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:38 PM

Small market teams can compete, they just haven't yet had the ownership to do so. Look at the owners of most of the small market teams, they are some of the worst in baseball (or at least in the eyes of their fans.)
It begins and ends with a farm system. Look at the Brewers. They've loaded up on talented young players who all came up to the bigs this year/next year. They did alright this year and drew a lot more fans (which means more money) than in the past. They now have a small window to succeed before the young players are due up for new contracts or arbitration. If they succeed, they will make more money. Then they can keep their players.
Overall, money does rule baseball in the long run. Clearly the small markets with little or no tradition can not compete with the NYY or BOS of baseball year in and year out on the open market. But, with a little bit of revenue sharing or better ownership, small market teams can compete, IMO.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:40 PM

thats a post i made in another thread, it might reference some things out of place im but im too lazy to type it up.

[ QUOTE ]
the yankees havent won the WS since 2000, and there has been a different winner of the WS for the last 5 years. is baseball really suffering from a competitive imbalance right now, especially considering how mediocre the yankees have been this year? everyone is busy talking about how much they suck this year, you cant have it both ways.

during the 96-00 dynasty the yankees payroll was not very out of line at all. their opening day 2000 payroll was in ninety something million.

1. i fail to see how the yankees payroll is ruining the game. baseball is doing great, and the yankees play a big part in that.

2. baseball has no salary cap. the yankees are breaking no rules, and if anything steinbrenner is doing everything he can to help his team while there are other owners who buy major league teams but decline to spend as much as other teams. its not like these other teams are going broke and the owners are losing money. also, the ny/tri state/global market for the yankees gives them huge merchandising cash.

3. off topic, but its more than a little funny when the red sox fans complain about the yankees payroll.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-04-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uhhh? Florida? And Minnesota has had much success in the wildcard era. But something has to be done about the ridiculous money NYY and Boston spend though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boston spends a lot, but please don't lump Boston in with NYY.

Boston spent 26% more than #4 LA; the Yankees spent 114% more.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But something has to be done about the ridiculous money NYY and Boston spend though.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is part of the reason I started this thread. I see this said all the time, even though it is within the rules, and both teams pay a considerable amount in luxury taxes.

Does there need to be a cap? Why or why not? I think that baseball is doing great right now with the success of the Yanks and Sawks, but I think 5+ more years of this, and people will get tired of it, and baseball will start to slip, ESPECIALLY in the small markets.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Indians, 26th

[/ QUOTE ]

Won more games than 3 of the NL playoff teams.

[ QUOTE ]
there has yet to be that small market team get over the hump in the wild card era it seems.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Twins and A's have had success getting to the post season over the past couple of years, but can't get out of the first round. Marlins won in '97 with a bloated payroll IIRC, and as for '03, I got nothing, though i still think they were close to the middle of the pack in payroll...
Old 10-04-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is part of the reason I started this thread. I see this said all the time, even though it is within the rules, and both teams pay a considerable amount in luxury taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. The money they spend is ridiculous -- I don't think anybody disputes this. But it shouldn't make them the bad guys because they're operating within the rules. I'll say again, the way the luxury tax beneficiaries are spending their luxury tax dollars is the real question here. I remember seeing a story on HBO Real Sports a year or so ago about the Brewers. They were/are being sued by the state over stadium finances. I believe it stated that despite their promises to invest big money in their payroll once they were in Miller Park, that the year before they had actually received more money in luxury tax dollars that they had paid out in player payroll.

[ QUOTE ]
Does there need to be a cap? Why or why not? I think that baseball is doing great right now with the success of the Yanks and Sawks, but I think 5+ more years of this, and people will get tired of it, and baseball will start to slip, ESPECIALLY in the small markets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm already tired of it... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]