Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Were you once lazy?

[ QUOTE ]

People who are bright see life's possibilities (sex, money, friendship, experiences, travel, helping society), and then go out and achieve them. Lazy people are lazy because ultimately, they're too small minded to see the possibilities out there and what is required for achieving them.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. I'm going to correlate being "bright" to high scores on IQ tests, SATs, AP exams, SAT II's and college exams and give you an example:

I have a friend who has scored perfect on all standardized tests : ACTs SATs AP exams SAT IIs.

No, I'm not making that up, he scored perfect.

He also got an incredibly high score on the IQ test.

He gets straight C's at a good Ivy league school and got straight C's in high school. He does absolutely nothing with his life. Just sits around and comments on how doing things would be a good idea...but that he's too lazy to do them.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I DO know a lot of people who felt they were bright, did nothing, and then looked around and said to themselves "where's my reward? i'm bright. where's my reward for being smart? this is unfair." do you feel this way?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, that would be stupid. I've always had a great amount of respect for people who work hard. I know I'm not one of those people, but I'd like to be one. I was hoping someone who was also bright, but formerly lazy would be able to empathize with my situation. Also I was hoping this person could shed some insight into changing.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a friend who has scored perfect on all standardized tests : ACTs SATs AP exams SAT IIs.

No, I'm not making that up, he scored perfect.

He also got an incredibly high score on the IQ test.

He gets straight C's at a good Ivy league school and got straight C's in high school.

[/ QUOTE ]
A couple of points. Firstly, no matter how intelligent you are, it's impossible to get a perfect score on the SAT without a working knowledge of maths. A working knowledge of math requires study, doing assignments, etc. It would be impossible to get a C in math unless he deliberately handed in incorrect work. Similarly for the English part of the SAT, though that is possible.

Secondly, how does a guy with straight Cs, no motivation (and obviously no extra curricular activities of particular note) get into a good Ivy League school?
Old 09-20-2005, 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A couple of points. Firstly, no matter how intelligent you are, it's impossible to get a perfect score on the SAT without a working knowledge of maths. A working knowledge of math requires study, doing assignments, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
A working knowledge of math is necessary. But some people don't have to study, nor do assignments to ace the Math SATs. I think just going to class is enough for some.

[ QUOTE ]
Secondly, how does a guy with straight Cs, no motivation (and obviously no extra curricular activities of particular note) get into a good Ivy League school?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know, but there are some stupid people in Ivy League schools (not many, but a few). Maybe they qualify as average, but in the Ivy League setting their stupidity stands out. I knew one girl, and her father is well known in Hollywood.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I DO know a lot of people who felt they were bright, did nothing, and then looked around and said to themselves "where's my reward? i'm bright. where's my reward for being smart? this is unfair." do you feel this way?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, that would be stupid. I've always had a great amount of respect for people who work hard. I know I'm not one of those people, but I'd like to be one. I was hoping someone who was also bright, but formerly lazy would be able to empathize with my situation. Also I was hoping this person could shed some insight into changing.

[/ QUOTE ]

hi vincent,

well, that's good, you're not one of "those people", which is a start. the only advice i can give is that starting to work hard and achieving your goals can be addictive, so the way to stop being lazy is to START doing something. anything. for example, try to run 5k (er, that's 3.125 miles for the americans) in 20 minutes. see how close you come, then set up a plan to reach that goal. then hit that goal. then set new and more challenging goals. repeat, repeat, repeat.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:41 PM

I can relate to this post. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Sometimes I am very lazy, but at other times I am the most productive/hard-working person I know. However, many people throughout my life have mistaken my hard-working periods for a real-work ethic, when in reality I was obsessed with the task at hand and didn't care about goals or a future.
Ultimately, you'd get off your lazy butt if you thought something was worth pursuing, or that it would matter if you acheived a certain level of status or material goods. If you don't hold those values or beliefs, then you'll remain lazy.
What did Sartre say? Something like, "It makes no difference whether you lead the people to victory or get drunk at home alone." In the end we're all worm food anyway, so in the long-run it doesn't matter whether you're productive or not.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:05 PM

deleted
Old 09-20-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm bright

[/ QUOTE ]
People who are bright see life's possibilities (sex, money, friendship, experiences, travel, helping society), and then go out and achieve them. Lazy people are lazy because ultimately, they're too small minded to see the possibilities out there and what is required for achieving them.

[/ QUOTE ]

People have probably already refuted this, but I'm too lazy to make sure. Anyways, let me note that at age 21 I've achieved (and debatedly at that) exactly one of the things on your list. And yet I graduated from college at 18 and never scored less than 99th percentile on any standardized test of any kind...
Old 09-20-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did the same...test scores are weighted pretty heavy...don't hate the player, hate the game

Unfortunately, that skeleton resume did lead to some baren scholarship hunts. Nice to be able to fall back to UofI with a shitload of government scholarships. 8 years of basketball tickets later, I don't regret a thing.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:28 PM

its pretty easy if you never turn in homework.