Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2005, 07:09 AM

Default Re: How long until hand rankings are not in EVERY tv poker show?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So you're saying that if the amount of coverage Poker gets on TV continues forever... even in 50 years, they're still going to sit there and explain what a "blind" is?

I think you're wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your input. I will store this information in my manual and will congratulate you on the day that hand rankings are fully understood by everyone in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coming from the man who thinks the only rules explained are rules people aren't aware of at birth, I have confidence you'll follow through on this one.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:31 AM

Yes. They'll always explain the basic rules. Their audience wouldn't expand as much without doing so. Without that little 90 second intro to the rules every episode, one could sit down and not understand anything that was happening (and promptly switching over to Comedy Central). The difference between the blinds/hand rankings and 1st downs in football is that a 1st down in football is referred to by broadcasters about once every 3.4 seconds during the coarse of a game. It'd be pretty damn difficult to watch a game for any length of time and not pick up the meaning. Also, you can sit down and enjoy the "action" of football without knowing a damn thing about it, but watching Deeb rack is brain over whether to call or not would be mind-numbingly boring without being able to scream "call you jackass!" as an "informed" viewer.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:52 AM

The answer is: they will continue to explain the rules at the begining of every telecast as long as televised poker is viewed as a gameshow.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:20 PM

I don't fully understand the rules for hockey or soccer, but if I would for some weird reason actually watch a game of both the announcers don't go over the rules like offsides and how much time each penealty is worth.

Baseball announcers doesnt explain that ump calls the strikes and balls and when we counts 3 strikes the batter is out and if he gets to 4 balls before 3 strikes the batter walks to first. They should spend 1 minute or two describing the rules to the 0.0001% of the America population who doesnt know them already, even if they are not watching.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
are you born with the knowledge of first downs or how much a field goal or touchdown is worth?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did they ever explain this to viewers when football was first broadcast? Perhaps the people who produce football programming feel it unnecessary to explain everything, but DO feel the need to explain hand rankings.

[/ QUOTE ]

i bet they did. when FOX first started broadcasting hockey to americans i noticed it was totally dumbed down and they were explaining rules. telling them what offsides were and what not. not to mention the stupid glowing puck.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:39 PM

the other thing about casual viewers is they probably don't even see the little snipet at the beginning explaining the rules. it's only the big fans that have their schedules set around the next telecast of poker on tv. for the casual viewers they are probably just channel surfing and stumble upon a poker game in the middle of a hand, thus missing all the rules anyways.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:50 PM

Im from Chile...soccer and tennis are the main sports.Anyway I learned football rules by watching, the first down took me 5 games, the onside kick a whole season, etc. I still dont know hockey rules...really and Ive wathced like 10 games, it took me like 4 baseball games to figure each team needed 3 outs( im lying someone explained this to me) and u know what I WOULD HAVE LOVED FOR SOMEONE TO EXPLAIN THE RULES TO ME.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
are you born with the knowledge of first downs or how much a field goal or touchdown is worth?

[/ QUOTE ]

In the south u r!!