Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 05:25 AM

Default c/r doesn\'t work

The following situation came up a couple of times and I was confused about the right play.

3/6 party:
Suppose you are in the bb with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

There are 3 limpers, sb fold and I check.

The flop comes, rainbow: Q83
Everyone checks to the button who bets, I checkraise (or would you fold?) Then a terrible player in mid postion cold calls, other player folds and button calls.

Turn is an 9, what is my play now? Bet out?

The reason I post this is because I get cold-called so often lately by bad players after checkraising. Then at the turn I don't know what to do. Should I put them on top pair?
Old 06-16-2005, 05:29 AM

Default Re: c/r doesn\'t work

I would bet out with this hand actaully. Chance to pick up the pot right there.

The way you played it I'd bet out and thats the last $$ of mines that'll go into the pot.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:35 AM

I don't know why you said your check-raise didn't work. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Don't you want people to call with incorrect odds? They can't all have top pair because there are only four of each card in the deck. I think this check/raise is pretty obvious. Turn action depends on what falls. If it looks like it completed some draws I'd check; otherwise I'd probably bet out.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:37 AM

The problem with betting out is that the bad player will call you 90% of the time. (why else did he coldcall the flop)

So after betting out, bad player calls and with luck button folds. You check the river, suppose bad player bets, do you call? river is <8
Old 06-16-2005, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know why you said your check-raise didn't work. Don't you want people to call with incorrect odds? They can't all have top pair because there are only four of each card in the deck. I think this check/raise is pretty obvious. Turn action depends on what falls. If it looks like it completed some draws I'd check; otherwise I'd probably bet out.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a good point. But in this situation I like people to fold when I c/r with middle pair.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:44 AM

The check-raise is good, you want to get heads-up. When that fails since you get 1 or even 2 cold callers I would most likely give it up when another overcard to my pair fails. Weak? I dunno.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:49 AM

I would keep on betting since a bad player will have a worse hand the majority of the time. If I checked the river I would call if the bad player was not passive.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:53 AM

Here is how I play it.

If it is 3 handed I bet out on the flop.

It is 4 or more I check raise if I am 2nd to act on the flop. (which you were)

You got cold callers which isn't good, but no one 3 bet. I bet/fold the turn, and check/fold the river if unimproved and the bettor is passive.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:42 AM

My thoughts:

After checkraising, I will always bet out on the turn. A check/call is very weak I think. It would be: bet out / check/fold / check/call in that order. By betting out it's likely that I get the button to fold.

But then the river becomes a problem for me. If I bet out on the turn and get one caller and then check on the river, it's such a great opportunity for the bad player to bluff. But if one or two more overcards come on the turn and river it will be right to fold. However, if I play it like this every time I think I'm losing money.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:48 AM

I think we gain money by calling if the bad player will bluff a lot on the river.