Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Am i too good?

Ive been playing probably 4 times a week since summer vacation started, I've been playing with the same people over and over again last week i was up +100 in three days, we play $5 buy-in tournys and 25/50 cash games , after today i find myself in debt with my friend $15 and $20 to my other is it possible that im just too good now and there pathetic play doesnt matter and its all luck now
Old 08-09-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Am i too good?

Yes, you are the greatest ever. Go register for next years WSOP ME quickly!

... Sarcasm asisde, if you cant come out ahead in the long run then no, you are not too good. You have lots of room to improve. If your game is like mine was and you keep getting drawn out with your AA / KK hands - try playing more suited connectors and play them hard when they hit a strong hand.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:05 PM

yes I am def. the best player as I am up in the long run but since i spend my bankroll and food and such i was low in the bankroll, I cant really be classified as a certain player as i mix it up between loose and tight, I get drawn out very very often, KK to 45o, AA to 72h...its as if they dont realize that i im tight and call eveerything, i do play suited connects but never hit
Old 08-09-2005, 04:07 PM

Just wear one of these to each session. U Are Incredible

Honestly, it sounds like you should study the game a little more. Scan this forum and read a few books. A few sessions is not enough to determine what kind of player you are.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:09 PM

What is their style? It sounds loose and passive, if that's true, slow down your top pairs a bit when there is many in the pot but play your sets, flushes, and straights hard.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes I am def. the best player as I am up in the long run but since i spend my bankroll and food and such i was low in the bankroll, I cant really be classified as a certain player as i mix it up between loose and tight, I get drawn out very very often, KK to 45o, AA to 72h...its as if they dont realize that i im tight and call eveerything, i do play suited connects but never hit

[/ QUOTE ]

As little as 24 hours ago I was agreeing with these complaints, but after reading responses, and now I am halfway through SSHE (My first quickie-read, just got it in the mail 6 hours ago) and now i realize: If they have not yet noticed you are tight, then that's probably the best game you can be playing in. Sure they'll outdraw you but keep pushing your edges (psst, AA-QQ vs any-random-two is an edge) and be selectively aggressive after the flop. Punish them for staying in with weak cards.

You can't be "too good" to win money. Simply not possible.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:30 PM

well... i consider like 200 live sessions a little more than a few, I cant really put this one kid on a type, he can raise with anything in the blinds or out of postion but then he plays monsters the same way, also i cant get a good tell on him, most of the other plays are straight forward but I lose big pots on outdraws in multi-way pots some popular maniac tells would be good, it seems like once i lose a big pot early i cant ever recover even if i buy back in ?
Old 08-09-2005, 04:33 PM

by the "too good" i meant like im so much better than im makin mistakes by being a good player...if there is 4 hearts on the board and i lay-down two pair they show like the worst possible hand, i cant make that call considering i have no hearts , to me it seems like who can out-draw who, and i cant really sit around and wait to hit my cards with $5 stack with 25/50 blinds , should i be buying in more money
Old 08-09-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well... i consider like 200 live sessions a little more than a few, I cant really put this one kid on a type, he can raise with anything in the blinds or out of postion but then he plays monsters the same way, also i cant get a good tell on him, most of the other plays are straight forward but I lose big pots on outdraws in multi-way pots some popular maniac tells would be good, it seems like once i lose a big pot early i cant ever recover even if i buy back in ?

[/ QUOTE ]

200 sesions is not statistically significant to determine if your lucky or good. After 100,000 hands if you are making money it is safe to assume you have it figured out. The kid that you can't figure is what you want to be.

Maybe a little tighter, but if you play every hand agressively no one will be able to put you on a hand, which is a major advantage in NL (not so much in limit).

I suggest posting specific hands where you have been outdrawn in the appropriate forum and get some analysis of your play. Are you too passive with monsters? Do you make draws overpay to catch?

As for tells, every person is different. You just have to study betting patterns and mannerisms and use position to your advantage. Caro's book is good and easy reading. Good luck in the future.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i cant really sit around and wait to hit my cards with $5 stack with 25/50 blinds , should i be buying in more money

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Ten times the big blind is not enough to be very effective in a cash game much of the time, so you may find yourself rebuying often or being in too many sticky situations. Try to buy in with as much as possible.