Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 10:37 PM

Default A subject covered extensively - Tilting

If you take a number of really bad beats in a session, but you got your money in with the best hand, does it effect your play? How do you deal with it? What are some techniques you use to get yourself centered again, or does it not effect you?

I'm really curious because since I've been re-building my roll, playing at low limits you can take some amazing bad beats. I've taken a number near unbelievable ones over the last couple of days so I'm searching for some new ideas about how to deal with this. I mean in about 25k hands I think I've tilted away at least 7-8 buy-ins by making stupid plays because I wasn't in the 'right' frame of mind. I think that's a bit absurd personally. If I take one or two in a session I'm usually ok. I can handle it, but when it goes over that I know I start tilting.

I know this topic is covered from time to time, but it's always good to re-visit.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Re: A subject covered extensively - Tilting

When I'm in the frame of mind where I feel like nothing's going right, that's my tilt. I don't play more or less hands, but I tend to play them just slightly differently (I pay less attention to the possible holdings of the opponent) - that gets expensive real quick.

The best thing I can do is quit then go for a walk or sit down at a FPS and blow away some enemies to blow off steam.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you take a number of really bad beats in a session, but you got your money in with the best hand, does it effect your play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I get really aggro, then I get it all on with a flopped flush but lose to a boat.

[ QUOTE ]
How do you deal with it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I take a nap, shower, wait till the next day.

[ QUOTE ]
What are some techniques you use to get yourself centered again, or does it not effect you?

[/ QUOTE ]

See above.

Ultimately though, I usually end up tilting anyway and blowing money.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:13 PM

i have a heavy bag. it helps a lot. this sounds stupid, but it really works. just imagine the bag is the villain. it has probably saved me thousands and it costed like 185...
Old 10-20-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have a heavy bag. it helps a lot. this sounds stupid, but it really works. just imagine the bag is the villain. it has probably saved me thousands and it costed like 185...

[/ QUOTE ]

NH
Old 10-20-2005, 11:33 PM

if I absolutely must play poker when I'm tilting I buyin with a 30xBB stack. I built up one of my first BRs doing an Ed Miller short-stack type system and I go robot when I have 30-40xBB in front of me just out of habit. In fact, in wake of my last major downswing, I've been buying in short a lot and its been great.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:41 PM

I posted a problem in the psych forum regarding tilt and the psychological impact of losing has on your playing. Whenever I'm down, I feel the need to redeem my losses, and win back my money. It's hard to stop when I'm down.

My play is somewhat affected as well, whether I like to admit it or not. Despite making the 'right calls and the right plays', sometimes it just doesn't work out. When I was in a slump a little while back, I grinded my way through it, and once I started winning again, my confidence and wins started up again. You definitely play better when you are running good.

Some things I do is just try and take a break. Sometimes, the cards just aren't hitting. It's important not to let yourself get out of control. Tilt kills bankrolls. Slumps come and go, and soon enough, you'll be running well again.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:46 PM

Somedays if I get sucked out on... I say "Whatever" and it doesn't bother me... though honestly, I caught that aggressive angry feeling subtley boiling one day anyways and realized I started to raise and reraise a lot more pots.

Today I went on some fantastic tilt after a guy who frankly sucks beat me with a runner runner flush for a big pot. Honestly... I think it improved my understanding of poker but it cost me a few buyins. lol

All I can do is calm the [censored] down and try not to feel that life is so "unfair".... because it isn't. It's damn fair. And I never feel it was unfair when I suck out on the opponent.

So for me, *that* is the major change
Old 10-21-2005, 12:41 AM

I have a somewhat different form of tilt from what xorbie describes. I get all weak-loose, or something like that. I stop betting/raising aggressively because I've taken my bad beats doing that, but at the same time I'm eager to call big all-in bets because I want to get my money back fast. Makes no sense, but there you have it. This obviously costs lots of money very quickly.

I can usually fix this by dropping down in limits and playing shorthanded, with the rule that I raise pre-flop with almost any 2 and then am not allowed to call on the flop, and only rarely on turn or river. This also tends to cost money (though not as much as you might think) but forcing myself to play poker postflop with a maniac image against weak opponents beats the tilt right out of me.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:51 AM

what really bugs me is when they hit a very well hidden draw and I pay it off for a lot.

then I feel part of it is my fault.