Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Matt Matros\'s book

I liked it. Here was my review:

The Making of a Poker Player is basically a series of well thought-out, informative, interesting, and easy to read poker trip reports with a twinkle of poker theory thrown in. Through the different chapters, Matros writes about his poker experiences in his life, it could be called a poker-autobiography. As he tells his story, he adds in the rules and basic strategies of some games, such as Limit Texas Hold'em, No Limit Hold'em, Seven Card Stud, Omaha and Tournament poker. He also discusses some interesting ideas and theories (psychological, mathematical and game theory) in most of these chapters as it pertains to the different games. While it is impossible to do an in-depth study in any of these games through short chapters (each one would fill a lengthy book by themselves), that was clearly not Matros' goal in this book. It seems to me, that his goal was to entertain the reader (beginner or experienced player), throw out some poker ideas and make the book a good read. If you want a book on strategy for a particular game, this is not it. But if you want an entertaining, easy to read book that gives good insight into different poker games, then this a good one. I enjoyed it.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:47 PM

You hit it perfectly King. Matt Matros isn't trying to write Supersystems, and he certainly isn't trying to "enlighten" anyone about poker theory or complex hold em strategy. He is merely telling a great story about his evolution as a poker player. I took it for what it was; that is, an enjoyable tale.

As for Acehigh's comments, I think he has read too deeply into Matt's love for RGP and sees a rivalry (with 2+2) where none exists. To me, Matt's RGP fascination is just an example of his own poker love/obsession and really no different than what you see on this site. IMO, it's mostly harmless and often hysterical.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:20 PM

I genuinely liked this book. I found it a quick, enjoyable read, well-written, and offers good insight to a relatively new player (I've been playing for about 18 months) I dont think the fact that he was a big-time RPG guy means that he has a vendetta against 2+2, or something silly like that.

I will say this, though. I threw out my Ken Warren book. I don't get that one, Matt

Gabe
Old 07-21-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he has read too deeply into Matt's love for RGP and sees a rivalry (with 2+2) where none exists. To me, Matt's RGP fascination is just an example of his own poker love/obsession and really no different than what you see on this site. IMO, it's mostly harmless and often hysterical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your right it's totally harmless. I just got tired of it, seemed repetitive to me.

Also, I agree with Randy, I don't know if it was the writing style or what.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:23 PM

Default I liked it

It was entertaining and gave you some poker insight that books like SuperSystem don't give.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:14 AM

This real-life poker bildungsroman by Matt Matros has easily slipped onto my list of Top 3 favorite poker books. i would absolutely love for someone to write a similar book teaching how they processed lessons learning seven card stud high, a game I really don't play that often.

I think that the chapter on running bad should be required reading for anyone who actually is running bad. Actually, I found it so helpful that I almost hesitate to recommend it, hoping instead that people continue to run bad and then tilt off even more money to me, but I also like Matros, have interacted with him a bit on-line, and don't mind sending money his way if my recommendation gets you to buy his book.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:33 PM

I would also say that it falls in my top 5 poker books.

On another note, after finishing Matt's book, I started to read INSIDE THE POKER MIND, by John Feeny. After 180 pages I have to say I'm really disappointed.

This book would be better off as an appendix to "Psychology of Poker". IMO it is much too weak to stand alone, and/or be worth the $25. The chapters titled "One Way Not to Fold" and "How I Learned Poker" seem to have been created with the intention of making the reader fall asleep. Thankfully my train conductor pulls me out of my coma when he anounces "Next Stop, Penn Station!"
Is there one kernal of knowledge in this book? Am I missing something?

With 88 pages to go, please tell me I have something to look forward to.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:23 AM

Hey, I liked Feeney's book! He doesn't write exciting, action-laden prose. And he doesn't play no-limit. He has no big stories to tell about how he went to this tournament or that. But his ideas on tilt are original, provocative, and have helped a lot of his readers - me included.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen this book----"The Making of a Poker Player"----mentioned anywhere in this thread.

Am I the only one who thought this was a great book?

[/ QUOTE ]

I read it a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I especially liked how he detailed his progression from donk to WPT finalist.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:14 PM

My annoyance is that he got historical fact wrong. I hope that's not what he studied at Yale. Henry Ford did not invent the automobile.

The automobile was not a "theoretical abstraction" when HF worked on it at the turn of the century. Ford did develop efficient mass production of cars, but some german guy called Benz built the first gas powered automobile in 1885. Plus, there was already a car manufacturing co. in the US, never mind elsewhere (try Germany), before HF started his.

Matros should have got mason to review his books; I'm sure MM wouldn't have allowed a historical goof like that.

Edit: I did enjoy his writing style a lot. Much better than most poker authors. Said he's writing a novel; migh tbe worth checking out...only if there's poker involved somewhere of course...