Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 05:43 PM

Default Is Hold\'Em Getting More or Less Popular?

Is Hold'Em getting more or less popular? What about poker in general?
Old 10-31-2005, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Is Hold\'Em Getting More or Less Popular?

more. duh.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:05 PM

Less. Duh.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:28 PM

The influx of new players has slowed. there are still new players coming in, but at less of a rate then say between a year and two years ago.

The good news is that many of the players that came in during that period continue to play.

Not all fish bust and never come back. A healthy number just wait till the next pay day, deposit another $50 or $100 bucks (or some other small reasonable amount) play on it for awhile, bust, rinse repeat.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:51 PM

For me it seems less popular. I have switched games and don't play Hold em much any more. The game that excites me now is WAR. Not too many places spread the game but when I do get in a game it is a pure battle. What is nice about War is it seems to have very little variance, however my sample size may be too small.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For me it seems less popular. I have switched games and don't play Hold em much any more. The game that excites me now is WAR. Not too many places spread the game but when I do get in a game it is a pure battle. What is nice about War is it seems to have very little variance, however my sample size may be too small.

[/ QUOTE ]

WAR is way old, theres this new game called "UNO"
Old 10-31-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WAR is way old, theres this new game called "UNO"

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG when I read this post I actually pictured what an Uno game would be like at Foxwoods. Imagine the Floor being called every time there's an argument over whether somebody declared "Uno". And the reaction when the guy to someone's right keeps "Skip"ing him and making him "Draw Two".
Old 10-31-2005, 09:29 PM

There's always going to be fraternities and places like New Jersey producing fish out there.

Gambling is shoved down pop cultures throat like bad music. It's America's new Chess.

This game isn't going anywhere for a long time.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:26 AM

Agreed that it is not going anywhere, but the massive influx has definitely stopped. I think we are reaching a level where the new people coming in are going to balance with the people dropping off of the 'fad' (and all of the fish who will eventually run themselves broke).
Old 11-01-2005, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed that it is not going anywhere, but the massive influx has definitely stopped. I think we are reaching a level where the new people coming in are going to balance with the people dropping off of the 'fad' (and all of the fish who will eventually run themselves broke).

[/ QUOTE ]

The nice thing about poker compared to other 'fads' is that it is quite addictive even for people without a gambling problem.