Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 12:14 AM

Default My river play made me cringe.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, CO folds, Button calls.

Turn: (9.20 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, Button checks.

River: (9.20 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.20 BB

Berate me.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:22 AM

Default Re: My river play made me cringe.

I don't understand the flop. Why no c/r or c/c?
Old 12-02-2005, 12:23 AM

The turn play should make you cringe, not the river. Bet that turn. The river play is OK, but you probably could've folded against the right player. You didn't give any reads.

P.S. Bet that turn.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:40 AM

I suck at folding, but I could have folded this. I think you would have to with a pause to review the action. It is nearly impossible for there to be neither another ace nor a flush draw out there. Unless the other two players are uber donkeys there isn't much else they would be calling three bets with on the flop.

This is an especially ugly situation because given the board you don't even get to split with another ace with a lousy kicker. Anything better than ace five kills you.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:41 AM

From what little I've read from you I'm thinking that you're a better player than me so I don't want to berate you but I'm curious as to your thinking. This really looks like you're beat but you are getting 12 to one to call him here and I'm usually thinking that villain might bluff here with something like QJ one in 12 times. Maybe I'd have spewed here too but I don't think it's that bad considering the pot size.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:47 AM

At first I was thinking that a turn bet was good here too but what are we accomplishing with that? If you're up against 2 pair or a set you're probably getting raised. If you're against a better A you're at least getting called and then do you continue on the river? Yes you're defending against the free card but do we really want to make this play with TPNK against 2 players here?

If you check the river you're going to have to pay off a better Ace and a busted flush will get a free showdown. If you bet you're not getting called by someone you beat more than 50% of the time.

Hey, I'm probably wrong though.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:54 AM

Post deleted. I'm not sure about this anymore.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:41 AM

He played it like a flush draw the whole hand. There's no way I'm good. The river was a check-call.

On the turn, I thought I was up against a bigger Ace, so I was planning on check-calling. Turn wasn't dreadful IMO if I'm up against aggressive players.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He played it like a flush draw the whole hand. There's no way I'm good. The river was a check-call.

On the turn, I thought I was up against a bigger Ace, so I was planning on check-calling. Turn wasn't dreadful IMO if I'm up against aggressive players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why you think you're up against a bigger A. Specifically why did you 3-bet the flop if you thought that? IMO, if you're 3-betting the flop here you are bet/folding the turn almost always. Sometimes c/c the river after that.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:53 AM

Push out the CO and maybe buy myself outs. I dunno. How would you play it? Agro hush style?