Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 01:56 AM

Default Ethics, what do I do here (Semi-Poker Related) HELP

Hi everyone, I came here for advice on this subject because I like the way people think on this site. Earlier today I got a call from my best friend back home, I'm away in college, he goes to a community college and is dropping out, anyway turns out he got a credit card recently and he bought some sneakers and alot of food and overdrew to the sum of $300. His family isnt wealthy and he dosnt have a job right now. Naturally he calls me first and tells me he needs a big favor and asks how I've been doing lately at poker. I tell him I've been doing alright and he proceeds to ask for the $300 and tells me he will pay me back this summer. I hate getting into money with friends because it ruins friendships.. however this is one of my best friends. I have a feeling that over the summer he would keep procrasinating paying me and it would snowball into a big issue. I'm completely lost on what to do here. He says he has no way of paying it except his parents whom he dosent want to ask. He says if he dosent pay it off then "collections" will come to him and thats "bad". Anyway, what the hell should I do here? I'm completely undecided and lost.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Ethics, what do I do here (Semi-Poker Related) HELP

Depends how much $300 means to you.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:05 AM

$300 isnt ALOT but I would definatly feel the loss. Has anyone ever leant money to a friend and had it ruin the friendship? I just dont want to be an [censored] to him but I dont want to mess things up either.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:07 AM

Assuming that $300 is not a large amount of money for you (big assumption for a college student, but not so much for a good poker player), just give him the money. Not a loan, a gift. You want to help your friend out, but you don't want repayment to create rift in your friendship, so this seems like an obvious solution.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming that $300 is not a large amount of money for you (big assumption for a college student, but not so much for a good poker player), just give him the money. Not a loan, a gift. You want to help your friend out, but you don't want repayment to create rift in your friendship, so this seems like an obvious solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. If you give your friend this money, I think you need to go into believing you will not be paid back AND being okay with not being paid back.

A BIG red flag in your post was that he's gonna pay you back sometime this "summer". That's about as loose a definition for a repayment schedule I've ever heard of. It's 50/50 at best you ever see a dime from him IMO. Be okay with that before you give him the money or don't give it to him at all.

Take care.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:57 AM

Just give him the money, err whatever, loan him the money but don't expect it back, and dont ever ask him about it.

If he's good for it, he'll remember it on his own and pay you back, then all is well. If he's a deadbeat, consider it insurance against him asking you for money ever again because he never will.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:17 AM

Give him the money and you'll hopefully get it back,

but next time you're at mcdonalds together you gotta let him buy his supersize meal instead of saying 'hey you got 5 bucks, you should pay off your debt'. .. as its been said, don't ask for it back, at least not all the time.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:38 AM

Not giving him the money might ruin the friendship too...
Old 05-10-2005, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not giving him the money might ruin the friendship too...

[/ QUOTE ]

Then it's a friendship that can be replaced by pimps and crack whores.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:05 AM

Default Don\'t give him any money

Don't give him any money