Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 11:45 PM

Default Reviewing your play..

Hey,

Basically, I was curious what everyone looks at when they're reviewing their play for the session/day/whatever. As I go through yet another downswing, it's time for me to start taking a hard look at my play. While I suppose it's possible that I'm just running piss poorly, for the sake of my sanity (or whatever is left of it) and my confidence, I need to see how much is my play and how much is just bad luck. While I know I have a ways to go, I find it hard to believe that I can't manage to beat PS .50/1.00 for anything better than an anemic .30BB/100 hands over 25,000 hands... especially considering that I took PS 1/2 for about 1.5BB/100 hands for 15,000 hands when I was, I believe, a poorer player than now.

I've been looking over my biggest losing hands of my worst sessions and while I can see a few spots where I was spewing, I was fairly satisfied with my play.

Just trying to figure out where to go from here.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 04-02-2005, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Reviewing your play..

reply to hands here.. see if your advice is consistent with everyone else.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
reply to hands here.. see if your advice is consistent with everyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-02-2005, 12:29 AM

Been doing that, and I think that for the most part, it's consistent. Guess I'll just keep on doing mostly what I'm doing, adjust what needs to be adjusted and just play through it.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 04-02-2005, 12:31 AM

I am not quite disciplined enough to not miss some reviews, but I generally try to review my play at least once per week -- going through PT and looking briefly at most hands and actually reviewing most hands I got involved in.

Win, lose, or draw - I think this is worthwhile.

Also, get involved in discussions on subjects / hands posted here by others.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...I can't manage to beat PS .50/1.00 for anything better than an anemic .30BB/100 hands over 25,000 hands... especially considering that I took PS 1/2 for about 1.5BB/100 ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why'd you drop back?
Old 04-02-2005, 01:20 AM

Bankroll issues. Combining a bad run in pot-limit omaha and playing a bit out of safety in limit hold 'em = bankroll destruction. I also wanted to "pay my dues" at the lower limits and actually try and build a bankroll the right way.

Catt,

Thanks for the insight. Going over my hands is something I've really neglected, and something I'm going to start doing regularly.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:28 AM

Replay your hands in PT. Step through each one. At each decision you shoud be able to compute in your head: 1) the pot odds, 2) your equity, 3) consciously decide the optimal line, and be able to give specific reasons for it.

You'll be surprised how many mistakes you find, and it's good practice for the real thing.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:35 AM

Have you considered playing on another site? You can probably do better than PS wrt finding good games. Maybe take advantage of the Granny bonus to get you back on track -- it's 50% up to $100, so you only need $200 to max it out. There's also a whole lot of bonus money to be found at the Party skins once you hit $500. Free money helps a lot when you're getting started. Check out the recent threads on building a bankroll.

As far as review goes... replay your hands. Halt the action on the flop/turn/river to check your odds when it seems close. Challenge yourself to justify your decisions. Check your reasoning against other posters by jumping into the conversation in posted threads. Submit hands you're still not sure about after running through your thought process in the write-up for your post.

Downswings happen. Hang in there.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:57 AM

Yea, over the past few days, I've been looking through bonuswhores.com and planning my descent into depravity. Set-up a firepay account today, and at some point, I'll deal with netteller as well. Going after bonuses is something I've been sorely neglecting and it's really cost me a lot.

Honestly, it's not the downswing that bothers me. They come and they go, and I'll still be here. What does concern me is how often it seems I'm dealing with cold cards and a fresh downswing. While I know there's only so much I can do about not hitting the flop with AK or not hitting my draws, there are still things that I can control and I simply can't keep dismissing every downswing as bad luck until I take a hard look at my play.

Thanks,
Steve