Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which of these describes you?
I believe that Jesus is the messiah and I am, in general, politically conservative 8 22.22%
I believe that Jesus is the messiah and I am, in general, politically liberal 3 8.33%
I believe that Jesus is the messiah and I am, in general, politically moderate 2 5.56%
I believe that Jesus is not the messiah and I am, in general, politically conservative 5 13.89%
I believe that Jesus is not the messiah and I am, in general, politically liberal 15 41.67%
I believe that Jesus is not the messiah and I am, in general, politically moderate 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2005, 05:50 PM

Default Seperate forums 1 for philosophy & 1 for math/science thoughts?

Hi everyone,

I'm a frequent visitor on this forum, I post every now and then...lately though it's been filled with Philosophy and Religions posts.

Don't get me wrong there's nothing wrong with those, I enjoy reading many but I would like a separate place where we could talk about sciences in general...just a place where those few posts doesn't get buried to the back pages.

Thoughts?
Old 10-25-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Seperate forums 1 for philosophy & 1 for math/science thoughts?

There is no end to this. Next someone will want a separate biology forum or physics forum, etc. We would do well to remember that this site exists primarily because it generates revenue, and that revenue comes from page views.

er.. mr edit again: the revenue comes from the advertisers who I assume pay per click, but clearly more views = more clicks = more revenue.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:50 PM

But does not Maths have more to do with Philosophy than Science? And what about all the religion nonsense?
Old 10-25-2005, 06:51 PM

NO

There is no need to further dilute the forums.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NO

[/ QUOTE ]
OH YES THERE IS! OH NO THERE ISN'T!!

And, yes there is
Old 10-25-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And, yes there is

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, there really isn't.

For one, we already have a probability forum. That's kind of a math thing, right? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Also, it's just silly to attempt to make a lot of the forums' subject matter as narrow as possible. You will end up with lots of threads with 1 response each, etc.

The traffic in here doesn't warrant a seperation.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But does not Maths have more to do with Philosophy than Science? And what about all the religion nonsense?

[/ QUOTE ]

Essentially this forum is David's playground and these three topics are what he is interested in. There is no need for a further connection. Perhaps it would have been better to simply title the forum as such but the current SMP keeps the topics limited to his desired subject matter.

I think most people who post in this forum can and have accepted the above as reality.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And, yes there is

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, there really isn't.

For one, we already have a probability forum. That's kind of a math thing, right? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Also, it's just silly to attempt to make a lot of the forums' subject matter as narrow as possible. You will end up with lots of threads with 1 response each, etc.

The traffic in here doesn't warrant a seperation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I guess so. In the sense the philosopy(ie religion) in effect dominates so maths/science woukd not warrant a new classification. I'd like to see the fact and fiction seperated but for no practical reason.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:40 PM

Hi Bottled Water,

All of the (few) science/math posts get replies. There have been a few attempts by posters to post science related issues. For the most part they were answered by only a few.

It isn’t so much that philosophy/religion doesn’t let science/math have their say. It is that most are interested in the philosophy/religion topics. Especially given the fact that most (myself not included) already have a good knowledge of the science/math that they are interested in and there isn’t much need for them to post. Any issues they might have, I assume they can find elsewhere. Thus, not much posting going on in these fields.

I think the combo of science/math/philo/religion lends itself to good discussion. They should complement each other. I think keeping the different disciplines combined benefits the overall discussions (and hopfully benefits the disciplines themselves).

RJT
Old 10-25-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NO

[/ QUOTE ]