Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 10:09 PM

Default Questionable on every street

No reads, but I think every street could have been played differently...

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (2.20 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (2.60 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

6th Street - (4.60 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

River - (6.60 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises

Total pot: (10.60 BB)
Old 08-09-2005, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Questionable on every street

i like it.

i'd consider throwing it away on third, but since you're finishing the action and will not face a completion... i probably play it like you did. i like bluffing the flush draw, and the rest kinda plays itself.
appearently seat 6 figured out what you were up to by sixth street, but that doesn't change how i'd play it. nh.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:50 PM

Villain is betting open kings up on the river. Is a raise really standard here?
Old 08-09-2005, 11:04 PM

since the other two kings are in the hero's hand, and there is no straight or flush potential on the villan's board, he's gonna need exactly one of the other two eights or hidden aces to have the hero beat. additionally, just about anyone will bluff on the river with two pair on board... the only reason i see not to raise is that there is no reason at all for the villan to call after being raised, except to snap off a bluff... i like the raise, esp against an opponent that'll call when your action tells him that he's beat.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:10 PM

I don't really know if I like the raise or not. The 8's are totally live. Many people will not bet the river here with just open two pair b/c they figure not to get called by anything they beat (obviously). Also, if he is sensible, he's not calling a river raise here unless against a habitual bluffer (and even habitual bluffers prob don't attempt this here). That said, I think anyone with a clue is not betting this river without a full house...if he just has the two pair, why not check and hope to snag a bluff? Interesting spot, a lot depends on your opponent.

Jeff
Old 08-09-2005, 11:12 PM

Also his call on 6th suggests to me either "Three Pair" - in which case he has more boat outs or a made boat in which case his just wanted to milk you with the river stop and go. My guess is he boated on the last card though, I don't see any value in raising against MOST players.

Jeff
Old 08-09-2005, 11:16 PM

good points Jeff. If you were the opponent and had boated would you have bet out or gone for a C'R? It seems to me auto checking is easily the right play in his spot which is part of the reason I raised.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:21 PM

I would probably check just about every time if I boated on the end here unless I read my opponent for having some kind of completed hand like a straight or flush with which he would call my bet but not bet it himself. But many players WOULD value bet anything that beats kings up here and many would also call a checkraise bc they think, "WTF, this bag of crap would have just bet his boat cause its so obvious anyway...and now he's trying to mess with me pulling this superman crap...I call." Lol, it's late though and I've been 3-tabling for 5 hrs...maybe I'm overthinking it. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Jeff
Old 08-09-2005, 11:22 PM

Let's talk about the river..

What do you do if your opponent may be bluffing, but also may have a boat, and you have a hand that can only beat his bluff?

Answer: You call.

Villain here is betting an open two pair. Assume he has something better, but may not and call.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:33 PM

In my opinion, I would have checked 4th. You've got a drawing hand, nothing else. By doing so, you could have seen whether or not the Q or the K would bet (helping you determine what they had).

Heck, depending on how much control you had and your table image, you could check-raise if the Q or K bet -- likely earning yourself a freebie on 5th had you not improved.

5-7 played itself. NH.