Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2005, 02:11 PM

Default trouble with maniacs in 4/8

Hi everyone,

First of all, my question pertains to live play at a B&M.
I'm trying to figure out if this is mainly my problem, or if others get in the same situation. Normally I play Omaha 8, and I find that game easy to understand and control, even when maniacs are playing. When I play Holdem, I usually play 4/8 or NL - but it's at 4/8 where I find this problem of players who raise nearly every hand and often cap the betting before the flop. When they flip their cards they usually have something like 7,3o - and yet they often win because they've driven others out of betting. I find it difficult to figure out. Many times they do it on kill pots where their initial raises really make it hard to enter without a premium hand.
I know others say to isolate the maniac, and if you have a premium hand I can see paying the price to do that. But what if you have a medium pocket pair, or J,Qs?
Do you have to just wait for position and a perfect premium hand or leave the table?
I get discouraged and annoyed when I find myself at a table like this - and it seems to happen alot at this limit. 4/8 seems to be just high enough for players to build big pots, and just low enough for them to afford to do it.'
Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: trouble with maniacs in 4/8

[ QUOTE ]
When they flip their cards they usually have something like 7,3o - and yet they often win because they've driven others out of betting. I find it difficult to figure out. Many times they do it on kill pots where their initial raises really make it hard to enter without a premium hand.
I know others say to isolate the maniac, and if you have a premium hand I can see paying the price to do that. But what if you have a medium pocket pair, or J,Qs?

[/ QUOTE ]
Isolate...show down your hand....Isolate...show down your hand...Iso...........
Old 04-18-2005, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I guess it's as simple as that.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess it's as simple as that.

[/ QUOTE ]
It really is. The absolute worst thing you can do is to start just cold calling preflop and then folding turns or especially rivers for one bet.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:02 PM

Let's be clear though - this strategy really pertains mainly to having one (or two) maniac(s) in the game. It's also dependant on other players respecting your attempts to isolate.

It seemed that the OP was referring to a game where there were several maniacs populating the table and creating a situation where virtually all pots were raised and capped PF. IIRC the strategy in these types of games is to tighten up and stick to only playing the premium hands.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:21 PM

It seems to be both ways - many times several maniacs as if all they enjoy is raising every street to cap. In those cases it's easier to wait for a premium hand, though I have gotten stuck when I was the kill pot and completed to the first raise, before I knew it I was in for $32.00 preflop! Thank God I won that hand, boy was revenge sweet.
It seems that when there's one maniac there are many other passive players who will call to go along for the ride, however I will try to isolate more and see how it goes. What caliber of hand are you looking for when you isolate against a psycho maniac who may have absolutely nothing, just the most premium?
Old 04-18-2005, 04:35 PM

Yeah, I was just referring to the comment on isolating. With two in the game it's a little more tricky. It can be very profitable but the variance will be just ridiculous if two players are raising each other with junk constantly.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:22 PM

I could have written this post. The small card room I play in can just get freakin' nuts. It's an absolute no-brainer to be a long term winner on one of the 3/6 tables, but the 4/8 table is out of this world and I don't know how to play it.

It starts out 4/8, then half kill around 11pm, then full kill around 2am. Then it's balls to the wall and I get creamed when I play it. These guys "know" how to play, but don't. 7 way preflop caps, no-peak til the river, you name it. You would think there'd be a way to make some serious money at that table, but I haven't figured it out.

Onaflag...........
Old 04-18-2005, 08:59 PM

onaflag,
I'm sorry to say it was a relief to read your post - I do think it has something to do with this limit of 4/8. I don't call that "playing poker" but rather more like "playing chicken" where the winner depends on who just happens to have the better match with the board at the end.
I really don't like it, though you see these huge pots that make your mouth water....I can't figure out a way to rationally beat it enough to make it worthwhile. I was in Vegas a couple of months ago and there were two guys at my table (at mandalay bay) and both of them were doing it. It was like a huge joke between them to see who could have the worse hand at the show down, while meanwhile everyone else was just trying to make a decent hand against them. The room was so crowded that it was either stay on that table or leave.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:45 PM

Again, this is table- and position-dependent. Say you have a maniac who is raising 50-70% of his hands preflop. In other words, anything playable to total garbage. If you are on his left, and the rest of the table isn't that likely to call 3-cold, you can raise medium pairs, big broadways, and medium aces. I prefer the aces and pairs to something like QJs because they have showdown value (though raising those hands probably isn't wrong either), especially if the maniac continues to LAG it up postflop, so you can call down often and expect to show a profit with these hands unimproved.

You should also factor in your position relative to the button. If maniac raises UTG and you are next, you may want to tighten up as there are still 8 players to act after you, so there is a greater chance someone will have a playable hand, which you don't want if you are raising some more marginal hands.

You also have to pay attention to your table image. Some people even at these low limit tables will eventually figure out what you're doing and wise up. If you start getting callers to your 3-bets, you'll need to tighten up a bit as hands like A7s and 66 can be tough to play multiway against a maniac and other players, esp when you don't have the button. But as long as you can expect to get it heads up most of the time and the maniac is truly raising any 2, 3-bet and go to showdown with your aces and pairs at the very least.