Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 07:55 PM

Default TPTK I donk flop and fold river 10/20

Villian here is 32/22/2.5 28 wtsd after 200. His flop agression is quite high and he likes to fold big streets a bit too much.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB
Old 11-01-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: TPTK I donk flop and fold river 10/20

Donking the flop is like stretching your neck out for him. I think in this case I would use check/call, check/call, bet/call, though I am open to arguments for checkraising the flop.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:05 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
Donking the flop is like stretching your neck out for him. I think in this case I would use check/call, check/call, bet/call, though I am open to arguments for checkraising the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

your hand is way too strong for calling down. I like checkraising the turn here, though I might end up donking if the turn is a diamond like it was. if I get raised then I donk-call the river as well unless it's a diamond.

given the diamond river I like the fold
Old 11-01-2005, 09:14 PM

I agree our hand is strong but I'm still not sure we make any more by checkraising somewhere given that this guy can fold a lot of worse hands when we do so. I especially don't like checkraising the turn given that a strong player's line tends towards betting when he can 3-bet or fold to a c/r and checking behind when he'd be forced to call down. Checkraising the flop could work though. It's so drawy that we may well be called down by underpairs and A-high, as well as KJ/QJ type hands of course. We can get reamed when behind but as you say this isn't too much of a worry.

A lot will depend on how light he's betting turns and how he's responding to c/r's.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His flop agression is quite high.

[/ QUOTE ]

C/R flop.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:31 PM

I vote for checkraising the flop. I agree with Josh that our hand is too strong to just call down in this spot. Dane, I think you overestimate the frequency that an opponent will fold a worse hand on a board like this. I don't like checkraising the turn though because people take a free card a lot and I don't want to give him the opportunity to put 3 bets in on the turn.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:04 PM

I donked hoping for a 3-bet. He was aggressive enough on the flop that he raises overs a lot of the time.

I didnt want to c/r the turn because I was positive he would release a dominated hand such as AQ, AK, or a lower PP. He also might check overs behind. I figured the chance of getting 3 bets in on the flop was worth taking.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:09 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
I vote for checkraising the flop. I agree with Josh that our hand is too strong to just call down in this spot. Dane, I think you overestimate the frequency that an opponent will fold a worse hand on a board like this. I don't like checkraising the turn though because people take a free card a lot and I don't want to give him the opportunity to put 3 bets in on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this brand of overaggressive thinking player will bet the turn pretty often. they are the types that tend to pound away at their opponents. they also tend not to fold as much. the big advantage of raising the turn is that when you raise the flop you set him up for a smooth-call followed by a turn raise, or a 3-bet followed by a turn check which both suck for you. turn raise is more powerful but suspicious enough that you'll get paid off by anything decent. with a hand as strong as TPTK with only 3 possible overpairs, this isn't as much of a consideration since he'll do it with worse hands as well.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think this brand of overaggressive thinking player will bet the turn pretty often. they are the types that tend to pound away at their opponents. they also tend not to fold as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you read his stats? His WTSD is 28, which is very low for this type of player. He did relatively way more folding on the turn. He was semi lag preflop and flop, but almost weak-tight on the turn and river.