Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 09:58 PM

Default Re: AQ gets put all-in on the river, what to do?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I fold the river. What are you beating again here?

-T

[/ QUOTE ]

What AREN'T you beating? pocket 2's, pocket 7's, any hand with an eight, and AK...

of those hands, the only ones that I could give credit for are pocket 7's and AK, because there was a large preflop raise. If he has one of those 2 hands, so be it, I pay him.

Turns out he had a bad hand that he shouldn't have called preflop with, and shouldn't have been calling with. I call and lose to that hand anyday, because I'll make it back against plays like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me clarify...What are you beating that is dying to put it all in here when he has a chance at a free showdown?

EDIT: I also would like to know if your check on the river was done to induce a bluff here. If so (and I do this often), I like it a lot. Yes, I'm bipolar.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:19 PM

Based on the way this hand went (and villain's stats), I believe you must call the river push. You're getting just better than 2.5-1 for your money, and the villain could easily be pushing w/ a busted flush-draw or a smaller Ace after your river check (inducing a bluff). Ace-x of clubs is always a possibility.

Your flop bet was OK, but I would've bet 28-30 on the turn to try to take it right there (the 20.00 bet may have tempted the villain to call, although a nine-out draw probably isn't getting the right price). Either way, you're pot-committed after the river push.

I must admit I normally don't like putting my stack at risk w/ top pair, queen kicker, but there's a good chance you're best.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Let me clarify...What are you beating that is dying to put it all in here when he has a chance at a free showdown?

[/ QUOTE ]

A hand that isn't very good. He doesn't want to see a showdown, because there's a chance he's gonna be beat. Thus, I call ;p
Old 10-21-2005, 10:57 PM

Check the flop. Call the river.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A hand that isn't very good. He doesn't want to see a showdown, because there's a chance he's gonna be beat. Thus, I call ;p

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I can't seem to make you think otherwise, but unless I have a history of villain make bets on the river with an inferior hand, I certainly don't assume he is bluffing this.

Hope that mindset works out for you...

-T
Old 10-21-2005, 11:06 PM

heh. Like I said, because of the preflop raise and the cold calling, I am not putting this guy on an 8. Therefore, I'm assuming I have the best hand, unless he lucked out and filled up with his pocket pair.

You can't see someone with A9,10, or J pushing that river, after it was checked to him? I can
Old 10-21-2005, 11:17 PM

Against this kind of villian, check the flop! Sorry I've said this numerous times, they will call with nearly anything and betting is chip spewing. You're going to control the pot size by doing this because on this kind of flop you're either winning a little or losing a lot.
On the turn full pot size bet. Rest would play differently.
As is you're forced to call getting ~2:51 on your money. It's 50/50 whether your behind against this kind of opponent.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against this kind of villian, check the flop! Sorry I've said this numerous times, they will call with nearly anything and betting is chip spewing. You're going to control the pot size by doing this because on this kind of flop you're either winning a little or losing a lot.
On the turn full pot size bet. Rest would play differently.
As is you're forced to call getting ~2:51 on your money. It's 50/50 whether your behind against this kind of opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your argument for checking the flop has alot of merit. Alot of these players will call you no matter what just to see what you do on the turn. However, I believe that you'll need to check-raise this villain during a later hand to ensure he doesn't think that you check everytime you miss the flop.

Of course, this assumes that the villain is even paying attention to this sort of stuff (which may very well not be the case).
Old 10-22-2005, 03:25 PM

Conventional thinking would lead most people to believe that your check on the river is a sign of weakness indicating a missed flush draw when no third [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] appeared, especially when you were leading the bets all the way previously.

But the villian made poor decisions to continue calling decent sized bets on the flop and turn with pocket 2's that can easily be beaten, and this opponent as someone stated earlier will be a money loser overall.

Regards, Steve