Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Brilliant or FPS?

i think that it gets the most value out of weak 10s and small pocket pairs...

what is your plan if he 1/2-full pots the turn? wont it look a little funny if u c/c the turn and show a willingness to get chips in on the river?
Old 10-21-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this holding is strong enough that I might even get a call from a worse hand if I check/raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get this. Please explain.

And I can accept that some PP's will drop to a turn bet, but I think that would be more likely if the turn is an A or K. I guess I just don't like the river CR. Why not lead the river? I think you will get a call from the same hands that would make the bluff, but you might get more out of them, since I think most players fold to the river CR.

I think raise PF, bet flop, check turn, bet river looks more like AK.

-T

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with you here. I think Hero's c/r on the river is really smart given the check on the turn. It causes Villian to think his hand is good.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this holding is strong enough that I might even get a call from a worse hand if I check/raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get this. Please explain.

And I can accept that some PP's will drop to a turn bet, but I think that would be more likely if the turn is an A or K. I guess I just don't like the river CR. Why not lead the river? I think you will get a call from the same hands that would make the bluff, but you might get more out of them, since I think most players fold to the river CR.

I think raise PF, bet flop, check turn, bet river looks more like AK.

-T

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with you here. I think Hero's c/r on the river is really smart given the check on the turn. It causes Villian to think his hand is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the wisest of words (Ron Burgandy) - "Agree to disagree."

But I will point to a wise piece of advice from fim a ways back - Value betting the river (here from villain's piont of view) is a great thing. For one, people almost never CR bluff on the river.

This makes it an easy laydown for villain, IMO, whereas I think a bet of 25 from hero makes villain queezy but suspicious, resulting in a crying call.

-T
Old 10-21-2005, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A smart villian "value checks" the river. Hero was fortunate villian bet, more fortunate that villian called the c/r. He should have only gotten the $10 river bet (or $0) with this line. With a lead turn, lead river line he'd get around $50 (which is what he got anyway, but the risk was there to get alot less). I vote FPS.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:07 PM

FPS Checking the best hand twice and praying that the other guy puts money in is not the way to build a pot.

It worked out for you this time but this was an easy fold IMO to a large reraise like that so really you should have only made 10 bucks by checking the best hand twice. He called 10 bucks on the flop, there is no reason to think he wont call other bets that are not out of line. I will be surprised if this gets 1 brilliant vote.