Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2002, 12:56 PM

Default PokerStars $20+2 tournament

It is really early in a Pokerstars NL HoldEm tournament...
Blinds are 10-20 and average stack is T1,500... I am the lowest stack at the table with T1100 (lost my AA already when 4 diamonds came on 5th street)

I am in the cut-off and there are 3 limpers to me and I limp with 4c5c... Who would limp here who wouldn't...

The SB calls and the BB raises to 100, There are 3 callers to me, and I call. 4 of us see the flop.

There is T420 in the pot, and I am last to act.
Flop is Th 6c 4s...

It is checked to me and I check... Who would have bet?

Th turn brings Th 6c 4s 7c Giving me the open ended straight flush and a pair...

First guy to act goes all in for T1,300 (has me covered)... and it is folded to me. What should I do?

Thanks In Advance,

Old 10-14-2002, 02:44 PM

Default Re: PokerStars $20+2 tournament

I like the limp for $20, but like the $80 call less. I would have taken the free turn card also, but I don't call the all-in bet, even thought you are slightly getting correct odds in the most likely case.

[b]Most-likely case:

Any over pair(EX JJ) gives you 19 winners, 25 losers and 43% equity($181).

57@-1000= -$5700
43@+1420= +$6010

+4010 after 100 hands or $40 earn on a $1000 bet.(4%)

Best case:

Your are a favorite against two non-club over cards, with no staight draws. 40-4

bigger clubs 31-13

Worst cases:

89,58,53,5T unlikely, but you are screwed big time.
78,56 less unlikely, but still screwed.
two pair or set 15-29 dog. The most likely holding -$175 loser per decision.

MS Sunshine
Old 10-14-2002, 04:06 PM

Why would you put 100 bucks preflop with 4c5c, 10% your stack. They're not exceptionally good cards. However, I seem to get beat by people who call with raised hands with these cards preflop, who knows maybe they are worth it.

In the end, fold it. You are the dog, even with 19 outs - theres only 1 river card left. If there were 2, then I'd call.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:51 PM

I think it was a bluff...but a fold was probably still a good idea...he could have 10/2 of clubs and kick yer but a thousand ways...as the SB...he might have limped in on anything.

according to my Poker Calculator 1.1.2 - You are a 63.39% favorite to win this hand heads up...but you bomb, and bye bye tourney...so better to wait for one you feel better about.

rb
Old 10-14-2002, 08:36 PM

Default what i did...

I may have mis-posted this hand, but the person who went all in was also the preflop raiser. The SB called for 10 more but then folded to the raise...

I agree with all of you that pre-flop it was a very marginal call, but I thought there was enough multi-way action to call the 80 more. Besides, it is an easy hand to get away from (LOL).

I didn't know the player who went all-in, but I thought it was a weak raise more then 3X the pot... because the player raised pre-flop I actually put him on an overpair... To an overpair I figured I could hit my 5 or another 4 or a straight card or a flush card. I figured I had 9 outs to a flush, 6 outs to a straight (that doesn't make a flush) and 5 outs to 2 pair or better... I am a 1.3:1 dog if he has AcAx, and I am a 1.2:1 if he has AsAd. The pot is laying me about 1.5:1... not a lot of EV there, but none the less a +ve EV play... if he has an overpair...

Anyway... I called and he had 77... ouch... I was actually a 2.1:1 dog... and I exitted the tourney in 101 out of 108 place...

Thanks for your opinions,
Old 10-14-2002, 09:41 PM

Default Re: what i did...

yes...this would have made a big difference...I would have mucked had the preflop raiser went all in...

I thought it was the SB who raised all in and the BB who was the preflop raiser. I"m much more inclined to suspect a bluff from the SB after everyone checks around then the preflop raiser.

Having said that...he should have slowplayed...LOL - hit a set and shoulda tried to suck you in, but you charged in headlong anyways..so no harm there.

RB