Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 10:21 PM

Default He\'s Who? And said What?

Who is this Phil Gordon? And what do you make of his "Break Even Theory" spoken of here:

Gordon's Break Even Theory

(I know the column was written for No-Limit Players, but we're all mathematicians here at the Small Stakes Forum, and with a little manipulation of the numbers, we can apply this "theory" to limit hold'em)

Personally, I think this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. Especially the part where he says "Here's a secret: the concept of pot odds is useless" (which is contradictory in itself since his so-called "theory" is a quirky, crappy variation of pot-odds)
Old 10-25-2005, 10:28 PM

Default Re: He\'s Who? And said What?

I read it, I don't know why. This thread should be deleted to stop others from making the mistake I just did.

JT [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2005, 10:29 PM

His theory is basic pot odds that any poker player should know. He just made a little equation for people who don't know what 4:1 means. Skip Phil Gordon and just read TOP.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:30 PM

it seems to me that he is just looking at pot-odds from a different perspective, the break-even point is just what the pot needs to be offering to make a profitable call, instead of looking at what the pot is offering first, what hes saying is really just basic pot odds worded differently

and yes it is stupid that he says that the concept of pot odds is useless, break-even point and pot odds are basically the same thing, one might just be easier to understand than the other

i dont know if i said what i am trying to say right, but you should be able to get the point
Old 10-25-2005, 10:34 PM

Default Re: He\'s Who? And said What? (NC)

Too late. D'oh!
Old 10-25-2005, 10:35 PM

Maybe i'm doing my math incorrectly, because he tells his readers to call with crapppppyyyy pot odds.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:00 PM

Wow! I never knew odds could be converted to percentages and vice versa. Truely amazing stuff.