Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Scare card

Playing four-handed 5/10 at Party for a while... fifth player just showed up who is BB on this hand (which is to say that they are irrelevent).

I raise to 35 UTG with red aces. Since we've been four-handed I've been raising a very wide range of hands so they don't know I have a big hand here. And a lot of my raises have gone uncalled. In this instance though, both players behind me call.

Flop is a black nine, the eight of hearts, and the rag of hearts. I bet $80 and the first player calls relatively quickly, and the second player spends some time thinking and then calls.

Turn is the nine of hearts.

Can anyone convince me to do anything other than check/fold? The fact that I hold the Ah... should that affect my decision at all?
Old 04-26-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Scare card

I can't convince you. You could very well be drawing dead on your naked ace to a boat, and if not you are definitely losing hearts or trips. There I'd advise against drawing to two outs. Hope you played it right.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:37 PM

From the lack of response I assume everyone agrees this is a routine check/fold... it's just frustrating because during the entire session I was constantly paying people off with top pair type hands (not in huge pots of course, but they add up quickly), and when I finally seem to be making a smart laydown, I end up mucking a hand that was way way way far in front. Button tried to bluff with QJo/no heart, and MP looked him up with red tens. A fourth heart came on the river and when all the dust settled, there was $1400 in the pot.

But all was not lost, as just two hands later I flopped a set of aces and got checkraised...

Meh.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:47 PM

Semi-interesting hand. I think the fact you've got the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is relevant...unfortunately, it's hard to play this hand against two opponents (who seem to like this board) while sitting out-of-position. There's a high liklihood that I would've folded as well.

Shame you posted this earlier in the morning, and your thread got shuffled to the bottom of the deck. Next time, try and bump it up once and I'm sure you'll get more detailed responses.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing four-handed 5/10 at Party for a while... fifth player just showed up who is BB on this hand (which is to say that they are irrelevent).

I raise to 35 UTG with red aces. Since we've been four-handed I've been raising a very wide range of hands so they don't know I have a big hand here. And a lot of my raises have gone uncalled. In this instance though, both players behind me call.

Flop is a black nine, the eight of hearts, and the rag of hearts. I bet $80 and the first player calls relatively quickly, and the second player spends some time thinking and then calls.

Turn is the nine of hearts.

Can anyone convince me to do anything other than check/fold? The fact that I hold the Ah... should that affect my decision at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing wrong with check/call, or blocking bet/fold to raise.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:03 AM

I concur with Crred, no reason at all yet to assume either opponent has a 9 and just give up. With this board you could easily be up against draw and the 8 paired or something like 10-10, plus flush & 2 ace outs give you 20%+ of improving on river with potential for a monster pot if it is one of the 2 A's.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:51 AM

you didnt get raised on the flop which makes a 9 seem somewhat unnlikely.

a slowplayed monster is possible as always, but otherwise why are you not counting hearts as outs?

that having been said, a blocking bet might be in order. unless your opponent is wise to that. just try to get to the river cheaply!
Old 04-27-2005, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the fact you've got the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is relevant

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant!
Old 04-27-2005, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
From the lack of response I assume everyone agrees this is a routine check/fold... it's just frustrating because during the entire session I was constantly paying people off with top pair type hands (not in huge pots of course, but they add up quickly), and when I finally seem to be making a smart laydown, I end up mucking a hand that was way way way far in front. Button tried to bluff with QJo/no heart, and MP looked him up with red tens. A fourth heart came on the river and when all the dust settled, there was $1400 in the pot.

But all was not lost, as just two hands later I flopped a set of aces and got checkraised...

Meh.

[/ QUOTE ]

So MP checked and Button bet? I think I call here depending on the size of the bet.

This is four handed after all...
Old 04-27-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing wrong with check/call, or blocking bet/fold to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that line best, or maybe I'm just stubborn to fold aces since you could easily be behind any 9, 98 or the flush. I might like to use a blocking bet a little more times than not since you bet the flop, so you're not slowing down and showing weakness.