Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 08:35 PM

Default Re: KIm Chee

[ QUOTE ]

Still, just hit K-town someday and keep the kimchee for awhile. Get the garlic stem and the mu kimchees. Yummm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mu kimchee is best when the vines are still attached. Double yum.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when i said boring, i meant that it tasted like cabbage with hot sauce. there wasn't any kind of embedding of flavors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you had it like immediately after it was pickled. Usually you eat it after it ferments.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm bumping into some recipes on the net, but they say let it sit for 2 days or so. I thought you were supposed to let it sit for a lot longer than that. Does anyone know if just a couple days is enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

2 days and it tastes overwhelmingly cabbage-y and predominantly salty. The longer it sits the tangier it gets. When my mom would make it in the fall it would last the rest of the year. When I said she made tubs of it, I mean tubs.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:43 PM

I'm korean and I love kimchi.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:29 PM

Anyone else find it ironic that TSC has an avatar of Kim Jong Il and he's talking about kimchee?
Old 10-18-2005, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I lived in Koreatown for like 8 years.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, I know there are a lot of latin people there now, but I go everyonce in a while for K-BBQ and I see lots of Korean businesses.

Anyway, where in the valley do you live? In Glendale, off the 134 freeway at the Pacific exit, if you get out and head north, there is a Hangook Market on the left hand side. It's big, they'll have everything you need.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the tip.

The Korean businesses I saw in Koreatown, that were even Korean at all, were computer shops, pool halls, anything but groceries. They did build a shopping center there, but I can't remember if food was sold there outside of a restaurant. I'm sure there must be a grocery somewhere, but I never saw it.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can't find kimchee in any part of LA, I think you have problems. I don't live in LA, but I bet I could find a decent Korean market within 25 minutes of your house.

Still, just hit K-town someday and keep the kimchee for awhile. Get the garlic stem and the mu kimchees. Yummm.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have a reading problem. I never said I couldn't find Kimchi in any part of L.A., nor that I wanted to go to every or any part of L.A. to find it. What I said was that it is not in my local market and the outlying ones stock it very sporadically, making trying to find it a time consuming affair with no guaranteed pay-off. I also said I didn't want to take a three hour drive to Koreatown and back. The traffic from the freeway to Koreatown is regularly fiercely crowded.

If anyone has ever wanted to know, or even been capable of knowing, every store within 25 minutes of where they live, I doubt it. Not in a crowded city. And I doubt you would either. And frankly, looking for Korean food in a Latino neighborhood is fairly retarded.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I live in the Valley, and it would easily take three hours between street traffic and freeway traffic just to get to the northern part of it. Plus, Koreatown in L.A. has surprisingly few Koreans in it. It's mostly Latinos now, even some Filipinos. But the Korean businesses are sparse, and I can't remember a Korean grocery there.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a Korean market on the corner of Sherman Way and White Oak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2005, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm bumping into some recipes on the net, but they say let it sit for 2 days or so. I thought you were supposed to let it sit for a lot longer than that. Does anyone know if just a couple days is enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

2 days and it tastes overwhelmingly cabbage-y and predominantly salty. The longer it sits the tangier it gets. When my mom would make it in the fall it would last the rest of the year. When I said she made tubs of it, I mean tubs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.

Maybe I should try making it. If she could make tubs, obviously she didn't have to store it all in the fridge, so maybe I could keep the extras somewhere out of the way without devoting an huge portion of fridge space just to kimchi. The ingredients are super cheap, which is cool, too.

I've never had kimchi as anything but a side dish, that I can recall. I'd like to check out its use in soups, etc. The Hawaiian dude above who suggested using it on hamburgers made me want to try that too. I'm from Hawaii and that's where I first started eating it, but never tried that.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.

Maybe I should try making it. If she could make tubs, obviously she didn't have to store it all in the fridge, so maybe I could keep the extras somewhere out of the way without devoting an huge portion of fridge space just to kimchi. The ingredients are super cheap, which is cool, too.

I've never had kimchi as anything but a side dish, that I can recall. I'd like to check out its use in soups, etc. The Hawaiian dude above who suggested using it on hamburgers made me want to try that too. I'm from Hawaii and that's where I first started eating it, but never tried that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely do NOT try making it. My dad tried once and it was a huge hassle and was also disgusting. You gotta be taught by your Korean mother or grandmother growing up or there's no hope IMO.