Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Cold Calling and PT

it is still a CC even if there are several callers after the raise before the action reaches you. (assuming you are not in the blinds, or an EP limper that is only calling one.)
Old 03-28-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've cold-called seven times in about 1300 hands. I looked through them the other day and I believe five of them seemed justified

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is unlikely.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:56 PM

I don't have PT in front of me right now, but I remember one of them was KQs on the button against an UTG raiser and like 3 cold-callers, and another was 88 in a similar spot. All seven of them are either suited broadways or medium pocket pairs, and all of them have a multiway pot.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:00 PM

Another case where 2+2 has instantly made me a better poker player.

While we're on the subject, are the guidelines in SSHE for when you CAN call a raise still considered ideal? I don't think I've read the pre-flop section in a while, so I'll have to take another gander when I get home from work tonight. I do remember that it specifically states that you should be either re-raising or folding a vast majority of the time, and I think it just mentions one or two very rare situations in which a CC is correct.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:03 PM

I think that in those situations, while cold-calling is not a ginormous error, it would be more correct to 3-bet instead of cold-call. Though I won't say for sure without seeing the situation.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:22 PM

No PT at work, but I would guess that most of my infrequent coldcalls are with smallish pocketpairs in hands that already have the raiser and several coldcallers, or a few coldcallers and very loose blinds. If there were an EP raiser, 3 coldcallers, I held 66 on the CO or button and felt good about (1) not likely to be 3-bet, and (2) at least the BB would come along, I would have very little trouble coldcalling (and I would probably not be raising).
Old 03-28-2005, 05:42 PM

I havent payed much attention to that stat before but is it really that bad when u have won about 1 BB per hand. I have made 34 CC in 5000 hands but most of them r with small PP with lots of people in the pot.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:56 PM

I think that at 1/2, there are very few situations in which to CC. In .5/1 I coldcalled a lot more than most responders (no PT here right now though). If I remember correctly, it was 75/11k, or .68%. Most of these are not big problems IMO. I think about half of them COULD have been 3-bet, and I think about 10 were probably incorrect. I think in .5/1 there are a lot more chances to coldcall properly (or at least semi-properly), and I wouldn't get too hung up on this stat if you are playing .5/1 or below, though it's good to develop good habits, I guess.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:58 PM

Default here\'s one of mine 98s

expert play or leak?
call, 3-bet, or fold?
i don't remember reads on UTG, but all of the cold callers were really bad.
thinking more about this hand, I think I should have 3-bet preflop.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">[i]
Old 03-28-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: here\'s one of mine 98s

[ QUOTE ]
expert play or leak?
call, 3-bet, or fold?
i don't remember reads on UTG, but all of the cold callers were really bad.
thinking more about this hand, I think I should have 3-bet preflop.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">[i]

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, I don't think 3-betting here is the correct play.