Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 12:07 AM

Default KQs BB - Aces Flop

Villian has been raising with a number of hands, including small PP's. How do you play this one? Should I raise the flop? Is check/calling down a valid option?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB
Old 03-17-2005, 12:23 AM

Default Re: KQs BB - Aces Flop

I'm check/folding this flop unless this guy is a maniac. There really aren't many hands you beat after this flop that he would raise with.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:26 AM

What's his PFR%? Do you know? How many outs do you give yourself on the flop?

To what degree do you think he's betting the flop and turn with a low pair? Does he raise any pocket pair preflop and bet the flop and turn, usually? If so, you should bet this river, because he'll call a bet with that pocket pair thinking that you're bluffing. Now, if he'd usually bet the river again (or bluff raise a river bet) with his pocket pair, I like just check calling.

edit: I think your read is results-oriented, btw, and it has swayed my advice.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:35 AM

Overall I think you played the hand to lose the least amount of money and I can't say I blame you because those aces are pretty scary and since he raised from early position it sure looks like he could have the ace. I might try a check raise on the turn to really find out where you are at. I think alot of low limit players slow play often when they flop a big hand. If he had an ace I don't see why he would want to lead out on the flop. I think if he had an ace than he would want as many people to stay in the hand as possible. So again I think maybe a check raise on the turn is a possibility but I certainly would not frown upon your conservative play here.
I am new here and I beleive this is my first post so take my advice with a grain of salt.

-Brian
Old 03-17-2005, 12:36 AM

Check/fold the flop. Even if villain has only a small PP, you are drawing to 6 outs. If he has an A, you need runner/runner. If you'd only posted the PF and flop play, you might get more/better responses.

Nate
Old 03-17-2005, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Overall I think you played the hand to lose the least amount of money and I can't say I blame you because those aces are pretty scary and since he raised from early position it sure looks like he could have the ace. I might try a check raise on the turn to really find out where you are at. I think alot of low limit players slow play often when they flop a big hand. If he had an ace I don't see why he would want to lead out on the flop. I think if he had an ace than he would want as many people to stay in the hand as possible. So again I think maybe a check raise on the turn is a possibility but I certainly would not frown upon your conservative play here.
I am new here and I beleive this is my first post so take my advice with a grain of salt.

-Brian

[/ QUOTE ]
Villain has to bet here. If I raise pf and I'm checked to with this board, I'm betting, Ace or not. I might get c/r'd here or on the turn, but I'm betting. (as the villain)
Old 03-17-2005, 12:42 AM

Just bet the flop if you are going to continue in this pot. Your flop check/call and your turn/river play don't add up here. You certainly can't call the flop intending to play the rest of the hand this way. You need to a take a stab at this pot on the turn (either by betting or check/raising) if you are going to call the flop with no pair/no draw.

Brad
Old 03-17-2005, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just bet the flop if you are going to continue in this pot. Your flop check/call and your turn/river play don't add up here. You certainly can't call the flop intending to play the rest of the hand this way. You need to a take a stab at this pot on the turn (either by betting or check/raising) if you are going to call the flop with no pair/no draw.

[/ QUOTE ]
Forgive me, but I think leading this flop is insane.

Villian's flop bet may mean he has an Ace - but given Hero's read, there are a lot of non-A hands he could be betting here as well.

Any A hand from the other opponents would overcall or raise. But once it is folded to Hero, it is heads-up, closing the action at 10:1. If there had been overcalls behind Villian a fold would be clear. But again, given the read and no overcallers, all 6 of Hero's outs may be live, or at least enough to call at 10:1.

As for the turn, Hero hit one of his outs - but he is still way ahead or way behind. Betting or checkraising the turn would probably cost profits when ahead or lose more money when behind.

A case could be made for leading the river.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:25 AM

i agree. the only reason to check this flop would be with
the intention of check raising to push the villain off one of the hands that he raises with lightly preflop. betting is better than check calling and check raising is a comparable option. if he raises your flop bet or 3-bets your check raise then i would fold instantly. a lot of players love to bet at paired boards with pocket pairs in their hand. it is so blatantly obvious at what they hold.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:37 AM

I would check check raise this flop if I had your read on UTG. Then bet out the turn. Actually, I would check with the intention of folding unless it is folded back to me after a UTG bet, in which case I would raise.