Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2005, 04:58 PM

Default I broke 80 for the first time - Yay!

On a business trip to Denver last week I played the Park Hill golf club. I got a late start (after 4:00) and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to finish 18, but after a 39 on the front (one bird, four pars, four bogeys) I had to try.

I've broken 40 for nine many times, but I've never been able to follow it up with a superb (for me) back nine. But my drives were going straight (my biggest problem) and I was dropping putts from all over, so I figured I had a good a chance as ever.

I got into trouble right away on 10 with a bad drive, but a terrific long approach & two putting from about 60ft and I was on my way. Coming to 18 (540yd par 5) I "knew" I needed a par for 79. After a good drive and second shot, I was left with an 80 yard approach. Despite my nervousness, I plopped it to within 20 feet. The birdie putt was six inches short and the tap in in the ever darkening dusk gave me a 79 - or so I thought. It turns out the back is a par 35 (I was, apparently, too focused to even notice 18 was the only par 5 on the back), so I really had a 78.

Sorry for the long story, but I'm really happy with finally breaking this barrier. I've improved from a 95-105 player ten years ago down to 85-90 average today. I've had one 80 (missed a 79 by inches) a couple of 81s, and one 35 (even par) on an out-of-my-mind league night round, with no chance of finishing the 18 [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Just thought I'd share. I encourage you to do likewise here...
--
Scott