Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 06:41 PM

Default HEPFAP, pages 140 something

I was thinking about two things while I was rereading parts of HEPFAP the other night. I think they are both mentioned at pages 140-150.

The first thing is the constantly bet the flop then check or check-raise the turn concept.
Now I'm nowhere near the levels where this would apply, but don't you miss out on a lot of valuebets here?

The second thing is about releasing hands in fear of flush, where they advocate betting when a third flushcard hits but fold if raised.
It, just seems a little weak I think, but again, maybe it's levels.

Wish I had the book here so I could quote, but sorry. If any of you recognize these topics I would love some input on this.

-aron
Old 03-15-2005, 05:53 AM

Default Re: HEPFAP, pages 140 something

Checkraising the turn is done because in tight games your constantly semi-bluffing the flop. This is not the case in a
loose game. So, if your in a tight game your not losing value
bets on the turn. In fact, since you will be giving up on a lot
of your semi bluffs on the turn, if your opponents give you a free card, its to your benefit. Moreover, a checkraise need only work 1/2 the time to get the same amount of money in the pot as value betting. Now when you check the turn your opponents don't know if your weak or strong, whereas they would if you weren't checkraising enough.

As for releasing the hand when the flush comes, they advise that this is specifically player dependant. Against a typical
player its generally right. However, they mention if your opponent is using ideas out of HEPFAP it is not right to fold.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Re: HEPFAP, pages 140 something

depends what limits you play at, for how closely you can apply all the concepts in this book. If your opponents are too dumb to notice anything, and will call down anything (lower limits), plays like the check or check-raise turn accomplishes nothing, as they won't even understand what a c/r is. Some advice in HP4AP in here are very opponent and limit dependent, although much is universal.