Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2004, 10:35 AM

Default online poker, faking weak bluff

I've read somewhere that a very quick call indicates someone being on a draw and so on...
I don't know, I don't pay attention to if it takes a short/long time for someone to make up their mind on their decisions online (maybe I should).
My reasoning for this is:
A) they might have checked the buttons for their next move.
B) they might be multi-tabling

Lately I've been thinking about it the other way around, If I'm HU and have flopped a monster against a passive player and bet the flop and get called I don't want my opponent to fold to my turn/river bet.
If the turn comes higher than the flop I sometimes wait some time before I bet out to indicate that I maybe had TP on the flop and that I'm now afraid of being beat. Just to encourage my opponent to call with a weak hand.

What do you say?
Do you think this affects how people play?
Should I consider how much time it takes for my opponent to make his desicion?
Or is the whole question irrelevant?

Regards- Aron
Old 11-30-2004, 02:37 PM

Default Re: online poker, faking weak bluff

Online I'd say be very cautious about reading anything into delays. There are people who play stoned, there are people who play multiple games at once, there are people playing from their 1200 baud connection modem. Any of these reasons (and about a hundred more) could be the cause for the person's apparent delay.

Cheers,

Swede
Old 11-30-2004, 03:41 PM

Yeah, thanks.
But since that was kind of included in the original post I'm more interested in if you think other people read a lot into it?
Anyone?
-aron
Old 11-30-2004, 04:36 PM

I try not to read into it too much, especially due to the reasons listed above. However, I definitely pay attention when someone's style changes--normally they call or bet quickly but are taking a very long time or vice versa.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:23 AM

The only time I think the time matters is when you get raised. When someone takes time and then raises, then they are likely genuinely thinking about what to do or at least want to make you think that. Someone who takes all but 1 second of the clock and then calls might have gone to take a sh|t, cook dinner, got distracted, etc. There are too many variables.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:17 AM

I think you can get some info from response times - I would never put very much faith in them, but everything helps.

Using the "raise any" by some players means that they have AA. There are one or two players I am 100% sure of this. If they do it, I get out of the way, quick.

Certain players play back at you really quick HU when they have a good hand. This is similar to offline tactics, where they are forcing you to think fast and make mistakes. When someone does this HU, I will consider the fact they have top pair, and certainly slow down my thinking.

I wouldnt trust any of these to even inform 10% of my decision but I will use them when I see habits in certain players. But to be honest, I think there are so many other variables to be aware of, that this one should be pushed down the priority list.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:22 PM

There has been a ton of talk on this topic already. Check the archives.

The conclusion was - and this is what most really good players look for, including the pros - that you look for changes in betting patterns. For example, if someone has been making decisions quickly, then takes a long time... that might be a tell. Also, when that person called quickly in the past, what did he/she have? It's important to use the notes feature and write down the betting patterns of everybody you play against. Betting patterns (or more importantly changes in them) are what you are looking for.