Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 02:50 AM

Default Paying people off.

I think that this may be what keeps my game from "the next level." In this hand, I am up against a LPP and believe on the flop that he has an ace, and likely better than mine. Is this a fold, and if so, which street.

Party Poker 20/40 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB
Old 11-14-2005, 02:53 AM

Default Re: Paying people off.

Pay the man!
Old 11-14-2005, 02:59 AM

How strong is your opponent? If you are planning to put in a bet on the river, I would try bet-fold.

The turn might be fold, but too would have a hard time doing that. You are very likely playing a few outs at least, very likely a few split outs too.

Very tough hand, and I think most would feel the same way about this one. However, I am at the same "level" as you, although I am unsure whether it is for these reasons.

lars
Old 11-14-2005, 03:06 AM

Very weak opponent. He is one of the fish, to be sure. The stats on him were like 44/4/.5 of course thats less than 200 hands most likely. I can imagine him just calling with AQ and maybe even AK here PF.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pay the man!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-14-2005, 06:20 AM

do you really play 20/40?
Old 11-14-2005, 05:03 PM

either do something on the turn or call it down. calling the turn and check/folding the river is horrible in my opinion, and serves no purpose.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:32 PM

I remember reading a 1800GAMBLER post in which he suggested that it might be correct for him to call the turn and fold the river with his nut-no-pair. This is a little different though. This isn't a tricky opponent. I highly doubt that he raises T8 on the flop. I also doubt he'd bet Ace-no kicker on this "scary" river. He's a fish. A fish who plays very passively, but has raised the flop and bet every street. As Lars pointed out, I may have 3 outs to a win or, after the turn, 4-12 outs to a split pot. Maybe. I think his hand range is 77,99, 79, A7, A9, AK-AT, and possibly A2-A6, A8. The least likely in that group is A2-A6, A8 based on the flop raise and the river bet. I really think I'm calling down hoping to catch a split pot or a miracle T which may or may not be good. The chance that this very passive villian has a hand that falls outside of that hand range is very small. &lt;5%. And of those 5%, 95% of those hands were saved by either the turn or the river. Are you sure that I can't let go of this on the turn or the river.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you really play 20/40?

[/ QUOTE ]
do you have anything better to say?
Old 11-14-2005, 05:58 PM

There is no right/wrong answer here that heavily outweighs the other. I'm for laying down on the turn, though. As you played it, you have to call the river. This is one of those spots where i'd probably muck the turn, or, get hyper agressive and spew chips, and, lately, it's been the muck choice, largely because in spots like this I think you are always paying off two pair or a bigger ace on the flop....

Tex