Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you do with KJ, 0-1 hearts?
Reraise. 0 0%
Call. 0 0%
Fold. 29 64.44%
I wouldn't have bet this flop. 5 11.11%
I wouldn't have raised preflop. 11 24.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2005, 11:12 PM

Default Re: How many of us played magic before moving to poker?

[ QUOTE ]
Does bridge count?

-Jaran

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked my wife if she would join a bridge club with me and my nephew started laughing at me, saying something about 'bridge is for old people'.

I said, boldly, 'nuh-unh!' and went to look for a bridge club.

They meet Thursday mornings at 10am at a nearby church.

Umm, ok.

KO
Old 08-30-2005, 11:19 PM

I played Magic for a few years during high school mostly. Started around 4th edition and kept up til Stronghold or so. I have my cards / non standard decks around here somewhere. Never played the tournaments or anything just with my friends but I think I was pretty damn good :P

-DeathDonkey
Old 08-31-2005, 12:57 AM

I started playing bridge at age 13, so I guess I was old before my time.

-Jaran
Old 08-31-2005, 01:10 AM

I played magic for a looong time before transferring to poker. I never really went where I wanted to go tho, on the bubble at what seemed to be every PTQ i went to. Did win VA states in 03 tho...
Old 08-31-2005, 01:25 AM

While I realize this poll is skewed towards the Magic players, I'm nonetheless impressed with how many there are.

I played way back in the day shortly after Revised was released, and I quit a couple years later. I was never serious at all. I picked it up again shortly after the open beta of Magic Online started. I got much more serious with it then, although I never played cardboard again. However, after the thing went live, I was increasingly faced with the cruel reality that I sucked, or at the very least I didn't have what it took to break even based on play alone. I was able to support the habit based on aggressive trading, which, really, is probably more profitable than playing for all but the very best players. I kept playing for a couple more years, but the degree of my sucking kept increasing. About that time, I found poker, I sold my collection, and I never looked back.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:03 AM

Played it in middle school when it was still a budding game(if anyone remembers Chronicles, thats when I started)

Played it a little more at the beginning of High-School.

Played on the semi-professional level(meaning my "Team" won enough money to sustain ourselves in the hobby) for 3-4 years up to and including some of the time I found poker.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Played for a few years... Someday I'll make as much at poker as I spent buying cards [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that
Old 08-31-2005, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While I realize this poll is skewed towards the Magic players, I'm nonetheless impressed with how many there are.

I played way back in the day shortly after Revised was released, and I quit a couple years later. I was never serious at all. I picked it up again shortly after the open beta of Magic Online started. I got much more serious with it then, although I never played cardboard again. However, after the thing went live, I was increasingly faced with the cruel reality that I sucked, or at the very least I didn't have what it took to break even based on play alone. I was able to support the habit based on aggressive trading, which, really, is probably more profitable than playing for all but the very best players. I kept playing for a couple more years, but the degree of my sucking kept increasing. About that time, I found poker, I sold my collection, and I never looked back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure if you, or most anyone here got ahold of Zvi Moshowitz's articles on Magic theory there would be an influx of very fine players.

But the fact remains that, unless you have a sponsor, Magic:The Gathering is a -EV game for all but approx. the top 15% of players in the game. And when I say Top 15%, I mean in the world.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But the fact remains that, unless you have a sponsor, Magic:The Gathering is a -EV game for all but approx. the top 15% of players in the game. And when I say Top 15%, I mean in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds sort of like poker...

yes, the poll is skewed towards magic players, but then again the point of the post was to see how many were out there. I think it succeeded in that.