Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Just call the flop?

Hello, I wasn't all that sure what to do with this hand. Do you just call the flop and check raise the turn? Also, bisons hand converter says it handles limit HE but it didn't work for me (pokerroom). I will try to make this look like a converted hand for readability. Villain has been betting alot of pots, etc...

Hero is in small blind with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

PREFLOP: EP1 folds, EP2 folds, MP1 calls $0.25, MP2 calls $0.25, MP3 folds, MP4 folds, CO checks, Button calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.10, BB checks.

FLOP : T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 bets, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB folds, MP1 calls

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Everyone checks!?

River: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets, gets one caller (not the flop bettor) who has K4.

My thinking was originally that I wanted to keep the pot small and then if a spade, A, 9, or Q didn't come off that I would check raise, the original flop bettor. But obviously that didn't work out. Do you think I should have just lead out on the turn? Do you think I should have raised the flop?
Old 06-20-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Just call the flop?

Raise the flop. Coordinated board, you're not going to lose straight/flush draws or anybody with top pair, and you want to charge them while you're likely ahead. You don't want a lone Q getting a cheap look at the turn.

Regardless of the flop, lead the turn. Nobody else is going to bet for you with a pair of kings on the board and 6 players still in, plus you'll get plenty of action from KT/AK/KQ/etc.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:58 PM

This is true. Thanks. I need to cut out the FPS.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2005, 02:04 PM

I bet the flop and bet the turn.

I raise this preflop, is this bad?
Old 06-20-2005, 02:21 PM

Yes, I think that you should have raised the flop. The pot was small enough at that stage that you would have made it unprofitable for the weak draws to call 2 bets.

I also think that it would have been safer to lead out on the turn, rather than risk not getting value for your hand by it being checked all round.

The board pairing another K, possibly made it too scary for MP2 to bet the turn. In addition MP2 may have bet the flop, hoping to get a free card.

Finally, I think that your hand was probably strong enough to raise PF.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:29 PM

By the way, I think that sometimes it can be worth waiting for the turn to raise.

That would be when the pot was so big, that it would not be possible to protect your hand with a flop raise and you were confident that the flop bettor would bet the turn.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:48 PM

Preflop: You can raise or call this. SSH says it doesn't matter much wether you call or raise KQoff. This is the same. You have a nice hand which you can raise preflop, however the terrible position justifies a call. There is no clear raise or call here I think it is close.

Flop: I really think you need to raise here and trap the field for another bet.

turn: Bet here. only a made str8 or another one with a king is going to bet here so you might aswell, hoping to catch a fish who will raise he's KXs.