Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 01:11 AM

Default Weird line? TPQK.

I just sat down, but I had raised 2 out of my three hands and taken the pots on the flop with continuation bets. This is my fourth hand. What should I have done differently?

Edit: For the inevitable 'bet the flop' comments - what's your plan for the hand? What do you do if you get raised on the flop?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB ($11.51)
BB ($18.42)
UTG ($29.87)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($28.55)</font>
CO ($25.2)
<font color="#C00000">Button ($59.9)</font>

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $0.75.

Flop: ($3.10) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($3.10) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, Button calls $3, BB folds.

River: ($9.10) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $14</font>, Hero calls $7.

Final Pot: $37.10
Old 06-14-2005, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Weird line? TPQK.

This is a tough one... personally, I would have bet the flop. If your last 2 raises had been taken down uncontested, it seems to me like someone might be itching to snap off your continuation bet, and you actually have a hand.
With the line you took, flop and turn look fine, not sure about river. What are you ahead of here? You have already showb some strength (raised preflop, pot bet on turn, 3/4 pot on river), so I wouldn't think he would minraise on a bluff or anything. AT/AK/KT/QJ have you beat, as well as stuff like TT/55, and I doubt AJ or something like that raises here. You are probably beat here, just a question of whether or not you are ahead often enough to call.
I also might bet out a bit less on the river ($5ish), I think the more you bet here, the more you will only be called if you are behind.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:34 AM

I'd bet this flop... river 7 to win 30... tough to say
Old 06-14-2005, 01:38 AM

Thanks for the comments. Please see edit.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:46 AM

I suppose betting the flop doesn't make the hand a whole lot easier...
It's tough w/o a read, but if I get raised after betting flop by button, I probably call and lead the turn, and fold to a raise. I would think that if opponent is reasonable, this would show enough strength to remove the possibility of being played back at.
If I am not raised on flop, I probably check behind turn, and call a reasonable bet on river (or make one myself).

Thoughts on these lines are welcome and appreciated.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:52 AM

bet the flop, fold to a raise- you won't often see a hand you beat that raises this drawless board.

fold the river, your 1 pair no goot..
Old 06-14-2005, 02:01 AM

I don't see much benefit to checking the flop... they probably won't give you much respect at this point, and betting the flop gives them a chance to start making mistakes against you. I think you have a chance to really get people to overplay their hands against you here.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you have a chance to really get people to overplay their hands against you here.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming this means you're at least calling a flop raise. Are you re-raising? What's you plan for the turn if raised on the flop?

See, I agree with you that they could overplay their hands. But I wasn't sure how to deal with it if they did raise me. Which is why I checked. But I readily agree it could be wrong. But it would really help me if you could be more specific in your plan for the hand after you bet the flop.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:48 AM

It depends on how much you bet (and how much you'd bet on the other flops), how much they raise, and which one of them raised you.

Depending on all of those things I might move in, or call. I'm probably not folding, unless the button raises big and the bb goes all-in or something.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:58 AM

But you're pretty sure I lose value by not betting here? Is it also a protection issue? Is that value not made up for in any deception that I may gain? What about if this goes to showdown and then in the future they know that sometimes I bet when I have it, sometimes I check when I have it? I.e. I am good? Does that provide any value?