Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 07:36 PM

Default ethics of playing with friends online

How many of you play with friends who are less strong poker players online? Do you take it easy on them or if you don't, what happens when you take money from them? I play 1/2 and am starting to make the move to 2/4 but a buddy wanted me to play a few sessions of .5/1 with him. He is one of those "deposit $50 and hope to go big on party" kinda guys, and was down to $15ish by the time I played a game with him. Assuming its wrong to play light on him, I played my normal aggressive game, but loosened it up alot. On one hand with ATs I called his raise from the blinds, flop came with and ace and two of my suite, he had AK, there was lots of action, river brought my flush and his leading bet put him all-in. When I showed he got really pissed at me, and now, a few days later, I run into him and all I get is "you owe me money" and he wont talk to me. Is this stupid or should i have been easy on a friend like this?
Old 04-22-2005, 07:46 PM

Default Re: ethics of playing with friends online

When I play with one friend and a bunch of strangers in real life, or online, I try not to get involved in pots with my friend. Call it what you want, but it's not collusion, I'd rather just play against the other 8 people at the table. I guess limit is different, but if I was playing with someone who could not afford to lose $15 I wouldn't play with them at all, it's just too small an amount of money to make an issue out of.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:56 PM

I play with a friend of mine. He's possibly a bit better than I am, but it'd be pretty goddamned disappointing if he or I took it easy on the other. If you aren't playing poker to make money, you shouldn't be playing. Unless you're at a 2+2 table to relax or someth. Your friend's an idiot though, if you value friendship I'd try to avoid ganking his money. Personally, $15 is worth more than a tool like that.

ugh, nevermind.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I showed he got really pissed at me, and now, a few days later, I run into him and all I get is "you owe me money" and he wont talk to me. Is this stupid or should i have been easy on a friend like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

he's ignorant. Get a new friend.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:02 PM

He's a moron. I play w/ 1 person I used to work with occasionally. I play w/ 1 cousin and several of his/my friends at SNG, MTT, and the odd cash game. The real your friend is a moron kicker is we (cousin and friends) pay $20 once a week for an online tourny (we live 1-4hrs from each other) winners (top 5) take all.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:14 PM

Recently, I ran into this dude on the tables that I went to high school with. We were what I liked to call "school friends". We were friends in school, but never hung out outside of school. We had almost all the same classes together so it was more of a convenience for us to be friends in school.

We'll play 3-4 tables at a time together and our goal is to see who can win the most money off of each other. There's no taking it easy. It's a little hard now though since we have pretty much perfect reads on each other (playing 2000+ hands together will do that with anyone) but it's still balls to the walls. None of this pussy crap, taking it easy on each other.

I think if you go easy on someone purposely because they are a friend, you are colluding and are no better than the people who share hole cards. It turns into a 8 vs 2 game when you go easy on each other and that simply isn't fair to everyone else at the table.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:29 PM

yeah, you guys are all pretty much saying the same thing i was thinking here. im giving him his money back when i see him and telling him if he expects a refund, dont expect me to play with him anymore, it was a net won of i think $7-8 from him.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:36 PM

Little bit of a hijack, but a question toward the guy who 4 tables and has played 2000+ hands with the same guy.

Doesn't the poker site notice that? I mean, what would keep me and my buddy from doing that and chatting over AIM about our cards and isolating players? I'm obviously not accusing you, you're just having fun with your friend, but I'm sure people do exactly what you described but are doing it to cheat. Have you ever gotten an email about you playing with the same person all the time?
Old 04-22-2005, 08:38 PM

I go after my buddies more than others at the table for some reason. Guess it's a competition thing.

The few times we ended up at the same table in NL tourny's I guess I tried to stay out of pots with him when it was convenient to do it... I get a good hand though and I don't care if it's my mom across from me.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:18 PM

I second the "get new friend" motion.

I give strict importance to debts, ESPECIALLY gambling debts. If a friend ever came to me and said "you owe me money" that I fairly won, I would just say "Sorry, you lost that money, and you knew the terms in which we were playing". It doesn't matter if it's 2$ or 200$, it's a matter of honor and I expect the other party to keep theirs.