Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Excalibur this week

Off to Excalibur (with the kiddies) this week. Any 2+2ers goin to be there? Any recommendations on games?

I normally play at the Mirage and play 5-10 Omaha or NLHE but since I won't have my normal number of hours at the table (and too many hours in amusement parks...), I am thinking of stepping back and playing lower limits. I hear the low spread limit game there is an ATM... [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2005, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Excalibur this week

The 2-6 is very good most nights. Sometimes rocky during the day though.

The no-limit is also good to great but can be not so good at rare times.

I don't believe I've played the 1-3 but my friends tell me it's VERY soft.

I'm in there once or twice a week. Maybe I'll see you in my 2-6 or no-limit game.

Best of luck on your trip.

Howard
Old 02-21-2005, 10:43 PM

I was there last weekend - 2-6 is so soft its unbelievable and the NL game is equally as fishy from my brief yet profitable experiance.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:45 AM

The $1/2 baby NL game at Excalibur is my favorite baby NL game in town. There are ususally at least 3-4 tables going on weekends, and the game is extremely fishy.

The Excalibur 2-6 is also pretty good, but can ocassionally be rocky. There are quite a few regulars that play this game.

The Excalibur 1-3 is basically a drinking game.

Overall, I love the Excalibur room. It's a fantastic room for beginning poker players, and a good environment to play with friends.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:17 AM

I'd stay away from the NL game, but thats just me the constant suck outs are ridiculous, went and played tonight, i flop top set and get sucked out on and i raised to 17 pre flop, and went all in after the flop got 2 callers some douche hit his flush. Also had AJ and raised to my normal 15 some [censored] bag called with q6 and of course took the pot down. People will play anything.I also saw a 600 dollar pot flop was 3 5 A ,4 people go all in, on guy shows kings, one a10, one a 2, the other a set of 5's. If you want to get sucked out constantly for big bucks it's your game
Old 02-22-2005, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to get sucked out constantly for big bucks it's your game

[/ QUOTE ]

I do know what you mean about the suck outs. They can be very bad at Excalibur because the players (even in the NL game) make a lot of bad plays. I actually went on like a 4 month tilt session where I couldn't win at Excalibur NL game. I was getting sucked out every time. But ya know, this can happen in any game in Vegas on any given night. It's especially likely to happen when playing the low stakes NL games because of the type of players these games tend to attract.

After my multi-month slide, I took a break from the Excalibur, and came back a few months later. Things seem to have turned around. Yes, I still get sucked out more than I would like, but the games have been quite profitable (I log every session). I do like to have bad players at my table. In the long run, I know I'll get some of their chips.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:39 AM

The suck-out thread is interesting. I switched to NL on my last trip to Vegas (about 2 months ago) after getting disgustingly sucked out at every limit level I played (up to 10-20). I didn't see it at NL, though you could say I did it to someone (had top pair- Aces- with a nut flush draw after the flop and hit the nuts on the river). But I was getting paid the right amount to stay in.

But all-in-all I thought NL was *much* better played than limit. It'll be interesting to try it out at Excalibur. They don't spread Omaha or Stud 8/b I am guessing [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].
Old 02-22-2005, 05:04 AM

"They don't spread Omaha or Stud 8/b I am guessing"

Stud/8 - No

Omaha - Once in a blue moon. I played Omaha high AND Omaha/8 at Excalibur back on November 10th.

Omaha/8 is very rare there & Omaha high even more rare (Nov 10th, 2004 is the only time I've seen Omaha high in there in 10+ years).

Btw, Suckouts = Fish.
Fish = Good.

Best Wishes

Howard
Old 02-22-2005, 09:37 AM

This was back in the end of November, but...

went with a couple friends out to vegas, didn't play a whole lot of poker, but once we found the baby NL game at the excal, that was where we played for most of the trip, 1/2 blinds, 100 max buyin, weak players, and a very fun game to play.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:09 PM

I was there this past weekend.

Everyone has said it already, but the 1-3 and 2-6 are very beatable (I know, I did fairly good at the 2-6 this trip as well). You will get a good mix of the retiree rocks (they know all of the dealers), the guys that know nohting but to call hands down, and the few young guns that like to raise 50% of their hands preflop and see 80% of the flops.

I would say that there was an average of 5-6 players per flop, even if it was max raised preflop. I was able to use this to my advantage a few times and profitably play a few drawing hands that I would normally toss, like low-medium suited connectors.