Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Paving over the Bellagio Fountains (long)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking of just calling them pretentious assholes but this is way way better
Old 11-09-2005, 05:18 PM

I'd imagine, the success of the fountains on the Bellagio has to do with some sort of branding effect. When seeking a "high class" hotel in Vegas, the Bellagio is the name most people think of because of it's extravegance. The fountains are the centerpiece of this extravegance. So, whether it be from watching countless movies that show these fountains or if a propsective consumer has been to vegas before and seen the fountains in person, they will want to stay at the Bellagio for their classy vacation because of the brand name recognition.

As for proof to my theory, I have none. I'm not sure if any studies have been done pinpointing the success of Vegas hotels and you could search to check that out, but I wouldn't feel obligated to provide proof to your buddy. Basically, he is saying, here's my theory, I have no proof to its validity, but you have no proof to the contrary, therefore, I am right.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:29 PM

Rundownhouse and Adambragger,

You're both right. The debate is ultimately pointless since neither side can disprove the arguments of the other.

Maybe I'll try name-calling. Like..."Pretentious sob"
Old 11-09-2005, 05:40 PM

Ok, since I am bored and the replies are getting sillier and sillier, here is the economic argument:

The best economic argument can be made using consumer surplus, and has nothing to do with the fountains as an ecomonic stimulus for either the Bellagio or Vegas in general.

Basically, there is enormous consumer surplus created by the enjoyment of thousands of people seeing the fountain show every day. This consumer surplus far outweighs the negligible marginal cost of running the fountain. Paving over the fountain would cause the entire consumer surplus to be lost.

This is purely a cost-benefit analysis of the fountain istelf, and has nothing to do with whether it is good for the Bellagio or the city of Las Vegas. The Bellagio pays for the fountain because they believe that they can capture some of that consumer surplus in the form of increased gaming, restaurant, or hotel revenue, but even if they are not doing this it makes economic sense (in general, not for the Bellagio) to keep the fountains operating.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:45 PM

No this is silly because you have zero data and are just making wild ass speculations with some econ 101 terms.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No this is silly because you have zero data and are just making wild ass speculations with some econ 101 terms.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the exact same amount of data as the other side of this argument, but my argument makes logical sense.

Are you saying that the people who watch the fountain show everyday receive zero enjoyment from doing so?

edit: and these terms are used extensively in the highest levels of economics.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the exact same amount of data as the other side of this argument, but my argument makes logical sense.

Are you saying that the people who watch the fountain show everyday receive zero enjoyment from doing so?

edit: and these terms are used extensively in the highest levels of economics.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am saying that this argument is pointless and I in no way intended to disparage your economic terms.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:03 PM

Anybody who doesn't think the fountains contribute to the Bellagio's business is an idiot. They attract a lot of people who then go in to gamble and, perhaps more importantly, they are an integral part of the Bellagio brand identity at this point. I kind of doubt they actually contribute to the local community, in that they probably don't turn non-tourists into tourists.

And I'm sure they just recycle the same water over and over, with some minimal amount added and drained each day to keep things fresh. This isn't a major source of water usage when compared to having 5,000 hotel rooms or when compared to commercial agriculture and other private sector enterprises.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I am saying that this argument is pointless

[/ QUOTE ]

[lameflame]Your argument is vastly more pointless than mine[/lameflame].

A am genuinely interested in why you think my arguement is pointless, though.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I am saying that this argument is pointless

[/ QUOTE ]

[lameflame]Your argument is vastly more pointless than mine[/lameflame].

A am genuinely interested in why you think my arguement is pointless, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not yours, the OP's.