Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Re: 13% of Blacks in their late twenties are in prison

[ QUOTE ]
Jail is a choice, you chose by the lifestyle you lead and the critical decisions you make.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 04-27-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is obvious that we are never going to agree.

[/ QUOTE ]No, we will never agree that black people should be held to a higher standard than white people when it comes to crime.

You seem to greatly misunderstand my argument. I'm not saying more blacks should get off than currently are. I'm saying white criminals should be prosecuted and sentenced just as harshly for doing the same crimes. Yes, criminals are to blame for their behavior, but there is also a problem with the system when white criminals are obvoiusly getting off scott-free and roaming our streets.

However, once our laws were applied fairly and equally, I think we'd see such a boom in our prison populations that we would have to seriously reconsider some of our ridiculous drug laws.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, we will never agree that black people should be held to a higher standard than white people when it comes to crime.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don’t think that they should but it is obvious to everyone that they are, so it really shouldn’t be such a hurdle to overcome. Yes it sucks, but so do a lot of things. I think this goes back to some of what Luzion was saying. Things have not been fair for a lot of different groups, but none of the inequitable situations in this country should result in imprisonment today.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:21 PM

I will let you have the last word on this one Grey, as this is a loaded topic and neither of us are going to make any improvements for anyone. Good luck to you and have a nice day.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, if my parents were poor, I'd try and not be poor, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

But you would have less leverage to effect your will. It takes money to make money. Poor people are at a disadvantage becasue they are poor, if for no other reason.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:50 PM

First you infer that I was implying that I thought Chinese and the Irish were superior to Blacks. No buddy, that was my example that set out to prove your Group A and Group B theory was bogus.

Second, my post was to educate you on the fact that I am not blind to discrimination because of my personal experience of it. You claim "it's not a question he wants answered. He won't believe the answer.... I guess it's just really hard for people who have never experienced discrimination to accept the fact that it exists. " My post was to respond to that. I dont care for your condescending comments like "You're making some impressive jumps of logic superman."

[ QUOTE ]
Noting that you're showing how hard it apparently is for people who haven't been discriminated against to recognize discrimination when there is abundant evidence of it in no way implies that I am discriminated against. You're making some impressive jumps of logic superman.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell are you talking about? YOU are the one that claims people cant recognize discrimination because they've never experienced it. THis quote look familar?

[ QUOTE ]
They have the lowest median income mostly for the same reason that women make on average >10k less than men regardless of race, despite their better college graduation rates and GPAs. I guess it's just really hard for some people who have never experienced discrimination to accept the fact that it exists.

[/ QUOTE ]

..... you said it, not me

[ QUOTE ]
Those are positive stereotypes you bloody moron and have nothing to do with discrimination or racism. Get your crybaby ass out of here. We can all find instances when our ancestors were discriminated against. Hell, 6 million of mine were cooked, and my other ancestors were victims of genocide on this very continent.

[/ QUOTE ]

That statement alone shows how ridiculous your arguments are. Shaq making fun of the chinese language is a positive stereotype? Assuming all Chinese people are good at math is a positive stereotype? You are dumber then I thought. There is no such thing as a good stereotype.

Imagine if you were a chinese guy that wasnt good at math and your boss made you do some extra work because he assumed all chinese people love crunching numbers. Thats real positive. Or if same said boss made you work overtime every week because he "knows" how all chinese people are hard workers. "Hey, hes chinese. He can handle it. Haha."

So on the topic, I guess you are saying its okay to say that stereotypes of all Black people are good at sports and all Black can sing the blues real well? Those sound like "good stereotypes." Is that what you're saying? I would love to hear some stories of people snickering at black kids on their college campuses because they thought they could only get in with a sports scholarship.

[ QUOTE ]
Psychological studies also prove that if you feed a person positive stereotypes, his performance will improve. If you take two kids with equal IQs, imply to one that he is smart before an IQ test, and imply to the other that he probably won't do well before the test, and the first kid will score remarkably higher on the IQ test. Is that not evidence of a cycle?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wheres you evidence on this? Its not like you to not back up your arguments with evidence? Are you going to tell me about the mozart effect too? And no, thats not evidence of a cycle. Its retarded to think so when its already been discussed that other groups have broken out of the "cycle" despite being viewed extremely negatively early on.

[ QUOTE ]
If a black man and a white man turn in a resume at the same place with the same qualifications, but the white man is a felon whereas the black man has a clean record, the white man is much more likely to get a call back. This is not a "hunch"- it has been proven to be true in America. I believe the study was done last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cite and or link? And whats your point? I thought your whole argument was the Group A and Group B thing.

[ QUOTE ]
Evidence that blacks are being artificially held down in this country is all around you, and for you to not recognize it is a pathetic failure on your part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blacks are artificially being held down, eh? So your argument simply boils down to "the white mans trying to bring us down" argument right? Blacks are being discriminated either because they were former slaves or a negative stereotype that they are nothing more then drug dealers and lazy thieves? THanks for wasting my time on your initial Group A and Group B argument.

Oh, and one more thing. Its awfully ironic that you go about talking about how Blacks are discriminated and that how other people wouldnt understand this. Then you open your big mouth and say Hey those stereotypes are fine! Those are good stereotypes! Hurray for blanket statements!

Your truly,
An Asian thats OBVIOUSLY very good at math
Old 04-28-2005, 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, we will never agree that black people should be held to a higher standard than white people when it comes to crime.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don’t think that they should but it is obvious to everyone that they are,

[/ QUOTE ]Read Luzion's posts.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:36 AM

Default This is the right forum

The thread is about meeting people from other races when you go to jail.

Why are you not interested ?