Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2004, 01:27 AM

Default Opponents who won\'t share

Information, that is.

A lot of poker strategy involves using information you get from your opponents to make decisions about how to bet, what to call, etc.

In online games, that tends to take the form of history of the player and how they respond to your bets.

So what do you do with a player that always plays the same? I was at a table the other night with someone who checked when they could or called just about any bet to them, no matter what they had. If they stayed in the hand, I knew they had a pair. Of anything. 3's, Aces, tens, it didn't matter. They might also have trips, or a full house, or the absolute stone nuts.

How do you deal with someone like that? The best I can think is you just ignore them and try to take the beats philosophically.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:22 AM

Default Re: Opponents who won\'t share

I'm not sure what you mean "how do you deal with that?", these are the type of opponents you want to play against, particularly because you have the advantage of knowing exactly where they're at every step of the way.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:01 AM

I think you misread his post. He's talking about players so passive that they don't raise their big hands, which means you don't know where they stand - they could have bottom pair or a monster.

Nonetheless such players, though frustrating, are good to have since they a) call too much with weak hands, and b) fail to get adequate value for their big hands. Play them by never bluffing but always betting your fair or better hands for value. It's very simple and perhaps not very satisfying, but profitable nonetheless.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Play them by never bluffing but always betting your fair or better hands for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find the best way is to either try to isolate preflop then usually bet into them. Since they are easy to read post flop you can tell if they hit or not, if they are so black and white that they fold and don't draw, then you will pick up a lot of pots. On the others you can drop or check through. Don't try to isolate with crap as others might catch on but these players are good to be against in a longer run session.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you deal with someone like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Put them on your buddy list.