Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-19-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Two hands for check-up

20/40 live, full table. Game has three soft spots, while the rest just get in the way.

HAND 1: Folded to me on the button. Both blinds are tight players (to Commerce standards). I raise with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB folds, BB calls. Headsup.

FLOP: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB checks, I bet, BB calls.

TURN: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, I check.

RIVER: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks, I check.

HAND 2: I raise UTG with two black sevens. MP cold-calls. All others fold. MP has only been here for 30 minutes or so, and has played unusually tight passive. This is definitely opposite on my initial read based on his short-buyin of three stacks when he started. Headsup.

FLOP: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet, MP calls.

TURN: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet, MP raises...
Old 12-19-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Two hands for check-up

Hand 1: Either bet the turn or the river (or both). I think a lot of worse hands will call, ie. pocket pairs, or maybe even a pair of 5s.

Hand 2: I think it depends on how tricky you think MP is. Tight-passive would lead me to believe that he does not have a 6. Does he play 88+ this way? My standard is to call down, but I play a lot more online than live.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:39 PM

Hand 2 sounds like you're up against a higher pair.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:03 PM

I don't get what you're doing at all in hand 1. I'd bet the turn and would need a great read to be convinced otherwise.

In hand 2, I don't think you've seen enough of this guy to assume he's passive enough for you to fold here after only a half hour of him not playing many hands. Call down.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get what you're doing at all in hand 1. I'd bet the turn and would need a great read to be convinced otherwise.

In hand 2, I don't think you've seen enough of this guy to assume he's passive enough for you to fold here after only a half hour of him not playing many hands. Call down.

[/ QUOTE ]In hand 1, with which hands do you think a tight player would call that would make it profitable for a turn bet?
Old 12-19-2005, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]In hand 1, with which hands do you think a tight player would call that would make it profitable for a turn bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand why you checked the turn in hand one, I see nothing wrong with that play. When youre behind you can minimize your loss, and against this tight player you may induce a call on the river by a hand he planned on folding to a turn bet. However, once your opponent checks the river, you need to bet your hand for value. Your turn check will induce your opponent to call with many more hands now that you are ahead of, but he cant call if you dont bet.

Hand 2. I dont like raising 77 UTG in a full game, I prefer either limping or folding depending on the texture of the game. Given that youve only known your opponent for 30 minutes I think you should call down. He knows you probably missed this board, which means he may raise this turn with a hand you beat. I'll admit though that its hard to find a hand that he would semibluff raise with since there is no flushdraw on the board, and if the villain is tight he cant have a straight draw or a lower pocket pair than you. It looks like the villain has 88-JJ to me, but i would still call down and look him up since you still dont know him that well.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In hand 1, with which hands do you think a tight player would call that would make it profitable for a turn bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
A6, A4, A3, KK-66, 5x, 2x...why should he fold pairs under an ace? You haven't done a thing to narrow down your range of hands you'd open on the button.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:25 AM

Hand 1 I just bet and bet and bet and if he is passive with ATo/A9 or something well that's life. It's a situation where he's going to pay off with a lot much more often than he will have a better hand or checkraise the turn with air and I want to discourage loose flop peeling.

Hand 2 you sound unsure of your read so I just bend over and assume the calling position.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:27 AM

Thanks Westley, well spoken. As you can guess, it was a rather frustration session in which I get turned inside out and had relatively little idea where I was.

I am stubborn in hand 1 basing my read on his flop call. I lose to any ace, however, I still see very few logical hands that I can beat. I agree that his river check makes the decision a bit easier. Granted, his turn hesitation could be for the straight possibility, although unlikely that I would have a four. For hand 2, it smells like a bigger pp as another poster also stated. Just wanted to see how many others would have called down.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 you sound unsure of your read so I just bend over and assume the calling position.

[/ QUOTE ]I am very sure of my read, although it doesn't mean it's correct. I'm just curious to see how others think. It seems pretty evident that you are calling down.