Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software

Old 11-14-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Mouse vs. MTH vs. AHK

Hi guys, my first post in this forum, i think, wanted to give a thumbs up on a great community. I've taken so much from here.

OK, so i play SnGs, and have recently moved beyond 4-tabling them. I'm currently doing 9, and am looking to optimize a setup for that.

My Gear: I have both a 2001 and a 2405. I can run both, and spread 8 tables with a margin, or 10 with slight overlap.

But i've a new attack. I'm trying to play with only one monitor, with 9 tables in a 3x3 matrix. There is almost 50% overlap, with gaps of 25-100 pixcels bewtween faces of the far corners. (i may be overexplaining this, lol).

Anyways, i like this setup, and think it has benifits over 8/10 tabling over dual monitors. Not hte lest of which is a (gasp) 18tabling future, where real-estate issues make no-overlap setups difficult.

So......

heres the 3 options weve got. Mouse? MTH (with keyboard assist)? Or well written AutoHotKey scripts?

I get the vibe that most who try MTH dont go back to mousing....and i have MTH and would agree with them. Its a great efficieny tool, leaving more time for the poker decisions.

But i've got some AHK stuff going, that might work as well? Better even? So im hoping to share ideas and setups with anyone else going the AHK route, hopefully we can mesh the best parts?

Ive got 8 buttons to use, and the numberpad, but with 2 hands, i go days between a misclick. I think less than with mouse even.

F1- fold. hits pre-action or fold button if your action.
F2- call, same
F3- The bet trigger, default is minbet, keypad fires bigger bets that F3 confirms
F4- poooooosh (im a SnGer, this is used often, no trigger confimation either, lol)

And the 4 arrow keys move the "focus" one cell in that direction. So for 9 tabling, Center, N, NE, E, SE, S, SW,W,NW, theres at most 4 clicks from opposite corners, but most tables are going to be one click from wherever your focus last was.

I've got the monitor right out to a true 1600x1200, that means hiding the Windows taskbar....then the tabels are a bit less than 800x600, so theres a decent margin between faces. THe AHK movement is all relative to TopLeft corner location of focus window. Alignment of tables is a snap after setting the Center one. I have hashmarks overlayed on my background for this. And use the program "allSnap". its money. try cnet.com

OK, so this setup works well for how it is. But there is the problem of windows poping. and obstructing your current window. And MTH is good for this. Im not sure of exactly how it works. But seems to do the job, im thinking i might run MTH in the background doing only this one task (hold focus). HAvent done test run on that yet. Has anone?
Also, i have the "TweakUI" toolkit for XP, and it has a hold focus option, anyone use that? its my next try. i used it with intermittent success using AHK on Stars, but Party may be more manageable.

OK, so im looking for anyones feedback and direction advice
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] i'm hoping to tailor a AHK solution for my needs that does more than MTH can. If any can contribue experiences and solutions, that ywouldbe great. And im happy to share my scripts, just hope too many of you dont play party sng 22,33,55, ok? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Mouse vs. MTH vs. AHK

I forgot to mention...i rely heavily on table placement in my reads. I remember something about "that guy on my left in the NW game". So i couldnt adjust to mth moving tables... i could only use it for the nice flashing borders, and also bringing cursor to active window.
I could concievably do what im doing with mth and keyboard assist, but i like the idea of holding certain windows up on top, and arrow-key movememnt lets me quickly pan back to a hand if a table has been popped up semi-covering it.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:50 PM

Just a little side question. I realise the moving tables is a problem regarding recognizing players / situations. I'm thinking about placing some sort of uniquely colored box on each table to make it easier to recognize specific tables ("that guy on my left in the red/blue/green/crapbrown game"). Would that help?
Old 11-14-2005, 06:37 PM

Now theres a thought. My suspicion is that we are not all alike in how we are storing info and processing poker info, neurologically speaking. Myself, i find that most anything involving moving tables is a roadblock. I suspect this is the case of many "left-brain" thinkers, the scientific/logic/math types like me, im an engineer. I picture in memory most things spatially. But thats just me.

Longwinded, but i think color-coding would good idea, and would be a killerapp for the right persons. Worth adding, but it just wouldnt pertain to how i like my tables setup.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But Orka, a really great SnG feature might be color-coding table borders based on the text in the window head (i think it says level there?). For the SnG junkie like me, having borders ranging from white for level 1 to light grey level2, grey level 3, dark grey, etc, right up to black. That would be on my Xmas list [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Orca, i think where i was going with the OP was to explore route people have gone to supplement the MTH program thats avaliable to, you know, customise things. And i figured many of those thing would be "one-offs"...something that would be really usefull to only a few...and far too much work to rebuild something like MTH.

But do you think if myself and a bunch of likeminded players developed our AHK work to produce a collaborative "best way" for us, you could in the future release a "MTHplus" application? Basically do do what i'm trying to do now, play 9 on one monitor, with overlap okay, but tables to remain stationary. with keyboards control, and arrow key navigation.

Big Limpin'
Old 11-14-2005, 06:51 PM

I'm still adding features to MTH (though slowly at the moment due to real life work), and i will probably copy any great ideas/additions people have made themselves if they want, and if it's feasible and within the idea of MTH.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:07 PM

Cool. I'll report back on progress/refinements, if they are not mentioned in this thread.

Hoping for more responses! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2005, 08:27 PM

There's no reason to have MTH move the tables, is there? What if you turned that feature off, but still had it raise the active window, border it, and move your mouse there?

I don't see any reason to use the hotkey feature of MTH anymore. AHK can just do so much more. I talked about my script here, and you can download the current full version. (I no longer see any reason to use mouse-locations for your clicks. Widget-detection is dramatically more powerful.) This means MTH isn't doing all that much for me, but I figure Orca could double the price and it'd STILL be an amazing deal. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've been thinking about writing a switch-table script. I'm not sure how I'll work it. Maybe I'll detect all the open windows, their locations, and then determine which window the user wants next.
-Sam
Old 11-14-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking about placing some sort of uniquely colored box on each table to make it easier to recognize specific tables ("that guy on my left in the red/blue/green/crapbrown game"). Would that help?

[/ QUOTE ]Just for the record, I would probably give this feature a try, but I'm not pining for it. Maybe I under-estimate how helpful it could be.

I'd rather have user-defined areas. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-Sam
Old 11-14-2005, 09:20 PM

Thats awesome, you are farther along than me. I will do some more thinking about this after today's poker.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:52 PM

Nice script but you can use ControlClick's you know, it doesn't move the mouse, and doesn't need stuff like Send {TAB} 12 times (you can also do 12x a send in one command, but that's by the by). You can also do ControlCheck, I believe, or at least there is definitely a check method in Control, for boxes.
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]