Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Weightlifting Advice

I was actuall ya competive bodybuilder for many years.... There are a couple ways to look at this...

First off, the circuit thing is ok for about 2 weeks, just to get your muscles acclimated to working out...

After that, you will need to drop the circuit and Really hit free weights hard..

If your goal is to gain Muscle, I wouldnt worry at all about cardio at first. Stick with core excercises and keep your reps in the 5-8 range.. With about 8-12 sets per body part.

I wouldnt work ANY body part more than 2 times per week but go very very heavy.

Also, the most important part is NUTRITION.. Try to consume about 2.5 Grams of Protein per Lb of body weight and so a lot of research on supplements..

btw, are steroids legal there???

If so I would run some light injectables in small doses.. Like maybe 400 Mg Test Enanthate or Cypionate...

Thats very light dose and you wont see any negative sides from that amount, other than a little water retention.. ( Which you can get rid of with Dandelion root.... and drink tons of water
Old 11-02-2005, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Find someone who knows WTF is going on, and gear up.

[/ QUOTE ]

bad advice for a beginner. the gains you make at first are substantial and you need that base if/when you choose to cross over to the dark side down the road. that said, you should be able to find some quality products in costa rica. but i advise against it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gear + newbie grown > newbie growth. You can't do it solo though, you NEED someone who knows how to come off. I'm still too young to know if the gear did any serious damage to me, and it's not for everyone. I have no reason for it now, but at the time (D-I athletics) I thought it was what I should do.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you first start, you will make good gains almost regardless of your work out.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's no excuse for adopting a less than optimal workout. Yes, you'll make gains with anything... but you'll make BETTER gains with a BETTER beginner program. A full body workout 5x a week is on the wrong side of the spectrum.

[ QUOTE ]
Infact, since you are new to working out, you are more prone to overworking, which is detrimental to muscle growth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Overworking in the sense of doing too much lifting in one day and hurting yourself, or overworking in the sense that you're not giving your muscles enough time to rest between sessions?

Either one is a serious risk with the program he's considering getting on... the program you say is "ok" because he's a beginner and will gain with anything.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
oh and someone else said 5-8 reps but i disagree 8-10 for mass (which is what is important unless youre entering powerlifting comps.)

[/ QUOTE ]

You couldn't possibly say what's important for somebody else.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
totally agree with peter.. make sure and EAT. if you're an ecto, you absolutely must eat like it's your job. it's just as important as lifting

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true, especially for thin guys or hard gainers. When I want to put on mass, I have to eat way more than I'm comfortable eating.

Skinny guys can have metabolisms that tear down their muscle so quickly and replace it so slowly that they have to eat more than usual just to stay the same size. Actually growing -- that can take a hellacious amount of eating.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:29 AM

it may not add bulk very quickly, but anything is better than your current regimen and it may be good to ease into it a little anyways...
Old 11-02-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bad advice for a beginner. the gains you make at first are substantial and you need that base if/when you choose to cross over to the dark side down the road. that said, you should be able to find some quality products in costa rica. but i advise against it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gear + newbie grown > newbie growth. You can't do it solo though, you NEED someone who knows how to come off. I'm still too young to know if the gear did any serious damage to me, and it's not for everyone. I have no reason for it now, but at the time (D-I athletics) I thought it was what I should do.

[/ QUOTE ]

jesus. you NEED someone with you to come off? just run your nolva or clomid for 3-4 weeks til the boys come back. i don't think you need someone sitting next to you for moral support to do that. and why burn out your androgen receptors when you can make great gains naturally first? your first cycle's your best, save it for when you've plateaued.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:31 AM

I wrote overworking, I editted in overtraining. Mispoke, blah blah blah.

Anyways, what I meant is, for someone who has never worked out before this program is fine. At this point, he has no idea how to "work out hard". That being said, id say doing this sort of thing is okay for maybe a couple weeks, but after that amount of time, he shoudl have the knowledge to move his workouts up a notch. This sort of program should be used as a sort of way to get your feet wet. It does just that.

To put it in perspective, I used to do a lot of weight training for a few years. I would workout a muscle group once a week fairly hard. Anything without about 6 days rest in between would not suffice with the amount of reps/sets/weight I was doing.

I wouldnt stick some novice on a bunch of pyramids, drop-sets and burn-out sets. People cant handle those sorts of workouts without experience. Dont expect them to be able to do the 12-16 set work outs per 1 muscle group per day routine.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:32 AM

oh and that's if you ever choose to use gear, and i advise against that. unless you're a competitive athlete, there's really no incentive to do so.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jesus. you NEED someone with you to come off? just run your nolva or clomid for 3-4 weeks til the boys come back. i don't think you need someone sitting next to you for moral support to do that. and why burn out your androgen receptors when you can make great gains naturally first? your first cycle's your best, save it for when you've plateaued.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people prefer instant gratification. And yes, I think a first timer should have some guidance coming off as well as legit gear.