Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 09:54 PM

Default Taking foot of gas pedal on river?

sorry i couldnt think of a better post title...

hero OOP, flops well, leads out, called by LP
turn hero bets, called
river, hero has pretty much the nuts, and feels LP has a decent 2nd best hand.
hero checks, hoping to inspire a bet from LP.

im familiar with "inducing bluffs", but thats not *quite* it. here, im trying to convince LP that he would be making a value bet...he thinks HHIG.

i've been doing this a bunch lately, with mixed results. say the pot is t600 on the turn. i could lead again, maybe t300 to sell my hand, and maybe get a call. but i've been checking, so HE bets the pot, and depending on my hand, i can either flat call or come back over him c/r.

SOmetimes, its money...and i break him. sometimes, he checks behind with 2nd best, but would likely have called my bet if i sold the hand to him.

So, does anyone have thoughts/experience with this? I know the question is incredably situation/player dependant, so thers no way toyou can make a rule of thumbe out of it....but im asking what specific factors you would consider in deciding what line to take.

Responses needent provide any definative answer, im just hoping someone mentions something that piques my thought process.
I dont feel im making this play based on anything other than a gut instinct. And as i say, i often am missing value bets. help me hellp myself.

BL'
Old 10-24-2005, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Taking foot of gas pedal on river?

This seems like a convoluted explanation of a check-raise..
Old 10-24-2005, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DO you guys like checkraising rivers? I will give no context of what is going through my head in the situation, id like you guys to figure it out for yourselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

FMP
Old 10-25-2005, 04:32 AM

I almost never check-raise the river. I only really do it when my opponent has been showing a ton of strength on previous streets, and most of the time, I like betting out and letting him raise me/pay me off. I play lower than you though, so I do very well by nearly always value betting rivers, I get paid off a lot more than I would against tougher opponents. Actually you don't play that much higher than me, I say you increase your value bets big time!
Old 10-25-2005, 04:47 AM

It's something that works occasionally but not always. I managed to stack a guy just yesterday with K6 doing this, at a $55, but the day before I couldn't get a guy with 77 to bet on KKKAx (I had AK). I bet the flop, check/called turn, then checked the river. It just didn't work against that particular opponent.