Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Re: AA

We need a read on utg. Unless he is a super donk, he never ever has a 3 there. His relative position is just too perfect for a CR to bet out.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:58 PM

Kind of sexy.

Obviously you think the extra overcalls make up for the rather small risk someone will catch up. I think you are right that the risk of someone catching up is small because of the paired board in comparison the extra bets you are gaining. Raising the turn would not chase a flush or an openended straight draw out anyway - the only real risk is if you are letting the gut shots in too cheaply but again the chance of that is small.

An added benefit is that if utg is so loose he can have a 3 he gets no chance to 3-bet.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:10 PM

nh tommy.

i do think a river raise is better tho. there is a good chance that one of the overcallers will call 2 cold here with many pairs.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:23 PM

great post.

Not sure if I could of resisted the turn raise, but I think what you may be giving up by not raising possible str8/flush draws is more than compensated for those few times that a 3 is out there.

If the turn is an A or a 3, do you still go for overcalls?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think what you may be giving up by not raising possible str8/flush draws is more than compensated for those few times that a 3 is out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. You are going to get hammered if a 3 is out either way. And it's not likely for a 3 to be out.

Krishan
Old 09-07-2005, 01:53 PM

Seems like a river raise is in order. At that point, going for overcalls isn't going to net you any more than a raise since it's highly likely at least one, maybe both, of the overcallers will simply fold as they missed hitting their cards.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:53 PM

I think the only street you can even consider raising is the turn. And I really dont mind just calling.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:59 PM

"I think the only street you can even consider raising is the turn. And I really dont mind just calling."

If I get checkraised on the turn and UTG just calls I'm threebetting. Does that add or detract?

-Michael
Old 09-07-2005, 02:03 PM

what i dont get is how you are playing 20/40 one moment and then 5/10 another. thats confusing.

as far as the hand i raise that harmless river 100% of the time, only because you aint getting overcalls from busted draws.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not raise the river?

I also think its important not just to state "WA/WB" as a justification for passive play. If "WA" is 98% of the time, and "WB" is 2% of the time, clearly a raise is needed. Not to say that that is necessarily the case here, but I think the "WA/WB" gets overused around here on occasion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with this. And in the hand posted, I would have raised the river, if not the turn.