Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 07:23 AM

Default Random shot at PP 15. Blind steal with a tag

I just decided to take a shot at 15 is I've been br'd for a while. Anyway...

Button is tight. SB is a donk and BB is a tag, I think a very solid 2+2er, but I'm not sure if it's who I think it is.

Ok so, anyone let this go on the flop, call the flop and just call down? How about call the flop raise turn/fold to 3/free showdown?

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (7 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 7 BB

Thanks,

Craig
Old 04-22-2005, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Random shot at PP 15. Blind steal with a tag

I don't like the steal attempt with A6. It's just too weak, especially from the CO.

That said, if you are confident the BB is a good player, you should recognize the fact that he isn't going to be leading as a bluff on that board. I would say he has a small pocket pair, and wants you to protect it and get the SB out of the hand. So I would probably call the flop, fold the turn unimproved.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:02 AM

Villain might also lead with an Ace.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:45 AM

Preflop you should fold. You don't want to take this hand up against this lineup.

Postflop it looks good to me. Chop chop.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 04-22-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop you should fold. You don't want to take this hand up against this lineup.

[/ QUOTE ] Could you please eloborate? I thought this was a decent lineup to steal with A6o in CO, i play mostly 5-6handed though so maybe things change a little when the table is 8handed. Button is tight so maybe he will lay down some of the better aces depending on how tight he is. SB is a total donk so you should be able to outplay him postflop if he does call and if he folds so much the better, The BB is a problem but you do have position on him and A6o is an above average hand. What kind of hand would you need to raise in this spot? A6o seems very marginal to me and i am not sure i would raise with it here.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:59 PM

Yeah, I don't like my postflop play on this one either. Villain might not be a 2+2er because he missed what seemed like an easy value bet with 99. Unless he was going for a c/r on the river?

Anyway, thanks for the replys.

-Craig
Old 04-22-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Could you please eloborate?

[/ QUOTE ]

My thinking goes like this:

A6 is, as a default hand, too weak to play here. Does the information we have on the players left in the hand swing it to a play?

Well, the button being tight is helpful. We certainly want to win the blinds if we are going to play. Unfortunately, tight players are often good players, so he may 3-bet us with AQ AJ 77 - AA... all those hands that dominate us. That would be bad.

The SB being a donk is good for us, but in this case he's actually not making much of a mistake to come in and call us down with any piece of the board. Are we really happy about him calling with Q9s? No.

Worse, the big blind, the player we are most likely to play against, is very good, tricky and aggressive. He'll move us off the best hand with semibluffs, beat us badly when we're dominated, etc. With the donky small blind calling the raise often, he'll also be getting odds to get involved, which we don't want with this pretty weak holding.

I don't think the raise is terrible, just slightly losing. I'd say AT is clearly enough. A9... eh, maybe. A6... too light.

my 2 cents.
Eric
Old 04-22-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
, I think a very solid 2+2er,

[/ QUOTE ]LOL
BTW... def fold this very horrible hand hand before the flop... postflop looks fine. tough too play A6 even with pos aqnd the lead bc it is TERRIBLE.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:33 PM

BTW this guy was NOT going to CR the river. people dont play like that... but i guess who knows, this guy obviously cant play....
Old 04-22-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, the button being tight is helpful. We certainly want to win the blinds if we are going to play. Unfortunately, tight players are often good players, so he may 3-bet us with AQ AJ 77 - AA... all those hands that dominate us. That would be bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone that sits in the party 15 would 3-bet all of those. Him being tight is a good thing for the hero. Considering most confrontations with a tight 3-bettor are going to end up with the hero giving up on a miss with a hand this bad, how good the other player is isn't going to be much of a factor on flops like K94 or whatever.

The important thing to consider is how likely you are to get past people acting behind you. He could be the greatest player in the world, but if he's folding to your raise 90% of the time, it doesn't matter, A6o would be good enough to steal with.