Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 06-29-2004, 02:25 AM

Default Did I overplay this hand?

PokerStars 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Songwind is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button folds, Songwind completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Songwind bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, CO folds, Songwind calls, BB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Songwind bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Songwind calls, BB calls.

River: (11 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Songwind bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Songwind 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 17 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 17 BB, between UTG+1 and Songwind.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Songwind (17 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG+1 shows 7d 6s (Straight, Ace to Five)
Songwind shows 5h 8c (full house, eights full of fives).
Outcome: Songwind wins 17 BB. </font>

I honestly cannot say why I chose to call this pre-flop, even from the small blind, but once I flopped two pair, I figured I was doing okay.

The straight possibility was a bit of a scare - after the raise (which I took as an announcement of UTG+1's straight) I was ready to check/call the river until the third eight hit.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:44 AM

Default Re: Did I overplay this hand?

Do you call any 2 cards from the SB? I realize its a whole penny to see the flop but you're reinforcing bad habits if you play complete garbage like this pre-f.

I'd 3 bet the flop but calling and planning to CR the turn if a 6 or 7 doesn't hit is fine too IMO. Once the turn puts 4 to the straight on the board against the BB and another guy who you provide no read on I'd check call it down and fold if it were 2 bets back to me.

Betting doesn't seem to make sense if you can't fold to a raise which IMO you can't because the implied odds are good enough to draw to 4 outs once that happens.

The river looks good.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:00 AM

If you're reading this board and you're gainfully employed, I think playing .02/.04 is a complete waste of time.

Do losses there motivate you to play better? Do wins there positively enhance your finances one way or another?

No, we shouldn't play with the rent money, but there's no reason anyone who fulfills the criteria above can't play .5/1. And I bet you don't complete the SB with this cheese at higher stakes, too.

As for your hand, good flop, good turn and great river play. Most people will try and get cute here and go for a C/R, but I'm a firm believer in betting all your monster hands on the river and let your opponents give you the chance to make it 3 bets.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:46 AM

Fold preflop, if your hand was suited it would be fine.
I would have 3-bet the flop to try and drive the BB out. Maybe he doesn't call 2 cold with the gutshot straight draw, although heck, for four cents I probably would. I don't see the point in calling and then betting the turn when your hand is now far far worse. Also UTG+1 has a straight always here so you really don't have odds to chase the boat unless you think you can get multiple bets out of his straight even if the board pairs on the river. Since I see that you could (lol) the turn call is okay but don't waste your money on the river if you don't improve.
There's nothing wrong with learning the game for little to no money. Also the stars penny games are tougher than party .5/1 so if you're beating these you can beat party for some real pocket cash.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you call any 2 cards from the SB? I realize its a whole penny to see the flop but you're reinforcing bad habits if you play complete garbage like this pre-f.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like what went through my head when I played it. I tightened up in the SB considerably after I got lucky on this one.

[ QUOTE ]

I'd 3 bet the flop but calling and planning to CR the turn if a 6 or 7 doesn't hit is fine too IMO. Once the turn puts 4 to the straight on the board against the BB and another guy who you provide no read on I'd check call it down and fold if it were 2 bets back to me.

Betting doesn't seem to make sense if you can't fold to a raise which IMO you can't because the implied odds are good enough to draw to 4 outs once that happens.

The river looks good.

[/ QUOTE ]

The turn bet was to find out where I stood - I didn't figure anyone would raise into that board with a straight, but they might well lead the betting with top pair if I was passive.