Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 12-30-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Orb/HDTV/Tuner Card Question

Hi All,
I'm trying to figure out how to watch the NFL playoffs on my laptop while I'm traveling for work next month, and Orb looks like a good solution.

Problem: I need to buy a tuner card for my home desktop, and I would greatly prefer to buy an HDTV for my new 2405fpw

But, I can't quite figure out how well/if Orb works w/ HDTV. Here is what it says on the Orb website about ATI HDTV Wonder support:

"(*) NOTE: On the ATI HDTV Wonder, only the digital tuner works in Orb; the analog tuner does not have a MPEG-2 hardware encoder and, therefore, is not compatible with Orb (regular TV channels cannot be streamed or recorded in Orb). "

So, does this mean if my ATI HDTV card can pick up the game in HDTV in Boston, then I will be able to watch the game via Orb on my laptop? And if it's not in HDTV, then I won't be able to?

Secondary question: does anyone have experience w/ HD and Orb? Does it work well, or should I just buy a regular SD tuner card for my PC?

TYIA!

PS: full list of supported tuners below. if not the ATI, can anyone suggest an alternative?

http://www.orb.com/?page=support/sy....nts&view=1
Old 12-30-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Orb/HDTV/Tuner Card Question

busted link, going to main site to read about orb
Old 12-30-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Orb/HDTV/Tuner Card Question

It sounds like your assumption is correct and is due to a limitation of that particular card. Orb looks pretty damn cool. If it's something you're going to continue to use I'd contact them and ask about "the most compatible hardware" for your desktop and laptop.