Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 03:58 PM

Default How often do you check-raise the river?

I've been thinking about this and can't really think of any lines that would lead to me check-raising the river. The only possible one is where I'm raised on the turn and am certain that I am ahead and that Villain will bet on the river, but there's almost never the certainty that Villain will bet again if I've shown aggression up to that point.

The reason I ask is that I often see hands where the Hero is in position and is debating between value betting the river and checking behind. I understand the concept of only being called when you're behind, but sometimes the advice given is "it would suck to get check-raised here".

My thinking is that if someone that hasn't shown any aggression check-raises the river, it's going to be a big bluff more often than not. It seems to me that if you have a hand worth value betting the river, then it's an easy call of almost any river check-raise.

Does anyone have a hand they could post where they check-raised the river without it being a bluff?
Old 05-07-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Re: How often do you check-raise the river?

I have a friend who played this hand yesterday actually for a check-raise river. The details of earlier streets are fuzzy but essentially everyone has 1500+ blinds are 2/5/5. An early raise, say to 30, he called with 22, a rock called.

Flop comes AK2 and checked around (was expecting raiser to bet)

Turn Q

My friend checks, rock bets 1/2 pot, my friend calls.

River K

My friend checks, Rock bets 1/3 pot, My friend raises.

We were talking about it afterwards and realized it was probably one of the first times either of us have ever seen a river check-raise in this game.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been thinking about this and can't really think of any lines that would lead to me check-raising the river. The only possible one is where I'm raised on the turn and am certain that I am ahead and that Villain will bet on the river, but there's almost never the certainty that Villain will bet again if I've shown aggression up to that point.

The reason I ask is that I often see hands where the Hero is in position and is debating between value betting the river and checking behind. I understand the concept of only being called when you're behind, but sometimes the advice given is "it would suck to get check-raised here".

My thinking is that if someone that hasn't shown any aggression check-raises the river, it's going to be a big bluff more often than not. It seems to me that if you have a hand worth value betting the river, then it's an easy call of almost any river check-raise.

Does anyone have a hand they could post where they check-raised the river without it being a bluff?

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually, only terrible players will check-raise the river. And they usually check/min-raise.

I check/raise the river when opponent seems to have been drawing and I have a monster. Or when opponent is superaggressive and I have a monster. That's about it.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check/raise the river when opponent seems to have been drawing and I have a monster. Or when opponent is superaggressive and I have a monster. That's about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

so basically the same as checking to induce a bluff, but raising with your monster instead of calling with a "good" hand. makes sense.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
River K

My friend checks, Rock bets 1/3 pot, My friend raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

it seems to me that this is still something of a bluff since a rock's hand is usually narrowed down to AA/KK/QQ/AK, all of which are beating 22.

i'm curious what it turned out the rock had.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:16 PM

River checkraises are almost never a bluff, if someone wish to bluff the river they are going to come out betting into you and not checkraising thus risking it being checked behind.
This is obviosly not true if you are playing very strong opponent. And you should checkraise the river once in ahwile sometimes as a bluff sometimes as a valuebet for meta game reasons.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:19 PM

I dont think terrible players check raise the river at all. It's something I should develop and incorporate into my game.

The one recent time when I check raised the river was when I hit a backdoor flush, and the card was a blank. My opponent bet out (with a straight, as it was) and I moved in. He called.

Thing is, if I just led out, he probably would've raised my bet anyway, so I think the money was going in. But who knows. I'd like to hear more about c/r the river.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:47 PM

It's easy to put rock on JT. He would have raised AA/KK/AK/QQ preflop, but he didn't. The only worry is KQ. But he wouldn't bet hard on the turn with KQ. It was a specific read against a specific player.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:00 PM

i just got check-raised on the river, and it ended up being a split pot.

i limp with 99 in EP. a bunch of limpers.

flop comes 678r

i bet pot, all fold to BB who calls

turn is a T

BB checks, i bet pot, he calls

river is a K

BB checks, i bet pot, BB pushes, i call...he has 92o and we split the pot.

i don't think he played it particularly well [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]