Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Matusow

[ QUOTE ]
If he's a douche, then let me ask you this. Who would you rather party with at da club? Raymer or Matusow?

[/ QUOTE ]
Raymer. Everyone has one of those friends that gets drunk, pisses somebody off, and you end up getting your ass kicked in a bar brawl because of that guys mouth. Well, Matusow is that guy sober, imagine how annoying he must be when he's loaded on coke and whiskey.
Moreover, you can count on Raymer to have a few bucks in his pocket for you when you run out but just have to get one more lap dance cause you think you have a chance at scoring with the stripper.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Matusow is good for the game and is a great poker. Man I am so tired of this "nice guy" syndrome that we've got in america. Judge the guy on his talent, not his personality. No wonder corporate america sucks, we're not in high school anymore people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never said anything about his talent. He's a great player, no question. So are Ivey, Brunson, Negraneau, Raymer, and a bunch of other great players who manage to be great without acting like total a-holes at the table.

I'd say the real syndrome in America is the idea that antisocial and obnoxious behavior is somehow "cool" and that douchebaggery equals entertainment. It's the same thing in sports. Act like an idiot = get on Sportscenter. Play the game with class = zero highlight reels and zero endorsements. Idiotic behavior is now rewarded in America. Humility is mocked as being "boring". That's why I'm such a big fan of Raymer. The guy probably had the best 2-year run in the history of the WSOP, and managed to be classy and humble while doing it.

A guy can be funny and entertaining without being a jerkoff to the other players (Layne Flack comes to mind). Matusow is really not very funny or witty, unless you just find someone acting obnoxious to be funny in and of itself. Personally I don't find screaming, "I've got big cajones!" at your opponent to be funny, or normal behavior for an adult - but I'm sure a lot of people do.

[/ QUOTE ]

amen.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:53 AM

I think I have to agree with the above poster.

I can not see Mr Matusow as fun nor witty either, f'n boring will come to mind tho. I can understand that when he says that "Uhh I dont care about money at all, huh huh I lost hundreds of thousands of dollars on sportsbetting last season huh huh" that the majority of the sunglass-wearing "I-put-my-money-with-anything-whatever!" young internet players cream their pants in awe.

Mr Raymer on the other hand seem to be this really kind and nice familyman who adresses new players at the table with "Sir" before he catches their name and is humble upon almost all occasions.

Besides, fossils are cool and cocaine is so 80's anyhow.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:32 AM

I agree, Raymer's the best thing to happen to poker in my opinion.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:19 AM

RAYMER

VS..

MATUSOW

GRUDGE MATCH 2006
Old 11-04-2005, 11:04 AM

Raymer bores the hell outta me. Plus, he's a cheapskate. No offense greg, and I really only mean this to help you out, but no guy with 5 million should be so cheap to go across the street and order from Taco Bell. That stuff will kill you faster than Matusow's cocaine. Raymer is a typical "nice guy." He's a better than average poker player no doubt and an even keel person but he's no Freddy Deeb/Minh Ly/Mike Matusow at the poker table.

Indy
Old 11-04-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raymer ....., Plus, he's a cheapskate.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you think wealthy people stay wealthy? Bravo Greg, stay the same normal everyday guy you have always been and keep helping those of us here who understand your talent and appreciate your wisdom.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's a douche. And what about his angle shooting with fake moving of his chips into the middle of the table and then pulling them out. Douche.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the others at the table weren't so starstruck with him they would have called the floor. Moot point since he called anyway but that first move should have been his call.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:42 PM

Yes stay alive and helpful, thus avoid Taco Hell like the plague
Old 11-04-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He played awesome poker at this years ME and if anything was quite toned down from the "old" Mike.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ehhhh, I don't really see that. I've seen at least four potential Mike Matusow meltdowns on TV so far and he has caught the breaks in each one. His good fortune was to accumulate so many chips when he was at the TV table against so many donkeys. I'm not faulting the guy for his play but I think if we are going to label some of the amatuers as lucky, Mike certainly had more than his fair share at this year's ME and deserves the label as well.
Closed Thread