Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Phil Hellmuth: \"No!\"

Yes Phil once again devotes a whole column of how unlucky he was to go out to such a terrible beat. For those who havent read it, his KK lost to AJs .... its about a 2:1 favourite pre-flop. Not exactly the worst beat in the world.

Negreanu won this tournament, and so many others of late, and yet I've never heard him whining about bad beats. Juanda can't be getting any either with all those final tables. I guess Phil just must be the unluckiest player of all time because we know his play is perfect.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:42 AM

The problem is that he is too good of an actor. He needs to start taking lessons from Ben Affleck. His ability to turn himself a paler shade of grey, a miniscule upward motion of his left leg to let everyone know there was fecal matter dripping down his trouserleg and a slight facial tic just above his right eyebrow all convinced his opponent he had the exact hand 4-3. "Knowing" Phil had 4-3 he had to raise.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
love him or hate him he is a fairly shrewd businessman from what I can see and seems to manage his money quite capriciously .

[/ QUOTE ]

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=capriciously
Perhaps you meant wisely? Or, to be less charitable, non-capriciously?
Old 01-13-2005, 09:52 AM

that's a rough beat hellmuth took. i am a fan of hellmuth, sure he can be a little dramatic, but we have all seen him take some savage beats when he was way ahead. at the same time we have seen him dish out some savage beats (TT vs. KK anyone). overall i think he is a brilliant player. it's easy for you guys to sit back and call him names and nit-pick his play, but how many of you have made millions playing poker?
Old 01-13-2005, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that's a rough beat hellmuth took. i am a fan of hellmuth, sure he can be a little dramatic, but we have all seen him take some savage beats when he was way ahead. at the same time we have seen him dish out some savage beats (TT vs. KK anyone). overall i think he is a brilliant player. it's easy for you guys to sit back and call him names and nit-pick his play, but how many of you have made millions playing poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Hellmuth can read opponents as good as any poker player I know of, and has NINE WSOP bracelets all in Texas Hold'em. His people skills may leave something to be desired but he is one of the best poker players alive, period.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:51 AM

I don't know crap.....But from what I've read that's a fairly accurate statement..... If you put "tournament" in front of "poker players alive"
Old 03-28-2005, 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh by the way Paul, I am not suprised to see you chime in here considering your bias towards Hellmuth. Can anybody forget your tournament player ranking where you ranked several players with 1/10th of Hellmuth's accomplishments above him? No bias there right? This list is laughable:

"Top Ten: Daniel Negreanu, Scotty Nguyen, John Juanda, Phil Ivey, Doyle Brunson, Layne Flack, Gus Hansen, Can Kim Hua, Meng La, me.

Next Group: Erik Seidel, Barry Greenstein, Johnny Chan, Chris Ferguson, Howard Lederer, Carlos Mortensen, Huck Seed, Alan Goehring, Allen Cunningham, Amir Vahedi, Ram Vaswani, David Chiu, Stan Goldstein, Russ Hamilton, Chip Jett, Chau Giang, Surinder Sunar, Marcel Luske, Tom Jacobs,
Minh Nguyen, Thomas Keller, John Hennigan, Bill Gazes, Billy Duarte

Next Group: That's as far as I'm going, field broadens quite a bit now.

Group Of People I Should Note I Didn't Just Forget About Who Don't Make My Top Two Groups Because I Think They Each Have At Least One Material Weakness: TJ Cloutier, Men Nguyen, Hoyt Corkins, Eskimo Clark, Ted Forrest, Mel Judah, Mike Matusow, Mike Laing, and of course the always popular Phil Hellmuth."

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to jump in the middle of this lovely catfight, but what
is the material weakness Paul?
Old 03-28-2005, 07:36 AM

Mr Philips,

I think your next move should be to grow that beard again and try make it orange or red. By all means continue to put yourself above people such as TJ Cloutier, Men Nguyen, Barry Greenstein etc, in fact I think I get a bigger laugh out of your posts nowadays than I do reading Mr Hellmuth's.