Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Pre-flop overbet with AA

Hi everyone,

I know we had one of these a little while ago, but the context here is different, and I need some input, so here goes. Also, this is obviously somewhat read-dependent, but this type of play comes up occasionally, I think.

5-10 NL live game, deep stacks, I know the Villain very well, and vice versa. He's a decent winner, self-taught (no books/2+2), plays a trapping style (fairly passive)for the most part, and is himself very tough to trap post-flop. That is, he gets away from one- and 2-pair hands to a fault after the flop, leading to some good bluffing opportunities for me. We both play loosely pre-flop, but he knows that I don't like to get a lot of money in pre-flop without a very good hand. That said, he's seen a ton of huge bluffs from me over the many hours we've played together, and I from him.

In this session, he was up about 2K, with 3000 in front of him, and I was down 1500, with about 2200 in front. He was running very good, leading at most flops, and picking up most of them right there. I suspect he actually had a piece of many of them, but can't be sure. I had been playing uncharacteristically snug, though snug for me in this game is still pretty loose. About 30 minutes prior, he had raised to 150 from the BB after everyone (5 of us) limped, stealing the pot and showing 52o. At that moment, I planned this play, should the opportunity arise to make it.

6 Handed. 2 limpers to me, I ($2200) limp in LP with AA. Button limps, SB completes, Villain ($3000) raises to $85 from the BB. 1 Fold, next dude deliberates/bitches, and folds, I move all-in for $2115 more. All fold to Villain, who goes into the tank. What do you think?
Old 05-14-2005, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Pre-flop overbet with AA

I suspect he folds everything except KK.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:48 PM

I think villian will be sharp enough to fold everything but AA if you overbet allin. He can afford to wait.

I think a pot reraise here might work well as he is more likely to interpret this as a resteal against his supposed bluff.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:51 PM

question: have you ever move of honor on him before and also, have you limped hands like AK from EP before?
Old 05-14-2005, 05:01 PM

do you think your play works better when you go allin vs making it something like 500? i assume you want him to interpret your play as a re-steal. even if he does interpret it as that when you go allin he has no room left to do anything, he just has to have a huge hand. it may well be the case that he is gone without a monster anyway in which case it doesnt matter much but it might be better to give him a bit more of chance to get himself in trouble.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:10 PM

I think I would rather see you make it something like $500 (I believe cwl said something similar). With the push, he very will likely fold most hands except AA (of course) and maybe KK. I think this play would work if you were semi-short stacked - he could intrepet it as a medium pair. The one thing this has going for you, is that you limped in LP; most will limp AA from EP, as the chance for a limp re-raise is much greater than a LP limp.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:33 PM

I don't really like this play. If you know he's capable of stealing from this position with garbage then you cannot be sure he has a real hand. At the same time, having showed you his previous steal he may be hoping that is what you interpret this as. I like a re-raise re-steal but not as large as what you made it. $500 and see a flop, or if he sees this as a re-steal and moves over the top then you can jam.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
About 30 minutes prior, he had raised to 150 from the BB after everyone (5 of us) limped, stealing the pot and showing 52o. At that moment, I planned this play, should the opportunity arise to make it.

6 Handed. 2 limpers to me, I ($2200) limp in LP with AA. Button limps, SB completes, Villain ($3000) raises to $85 from the BB. 1 Fold, next dude deliberates/bitches, and folds, I move all-in for $2115 more. All fold to Villain, who goes into the tank. What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

So I would assume that this is the first time that villain's made an overbet preflop from the blinds since the first instance you mentioned? And that a reasonable number of hands have passed since?

If so, then I like it. I'm not sure how often he's going to call here, but I think he calls some of the time, as he has at least JJ here I think, and more likely QQ/KK.

And while villain sounds like he may be tricky enough to know that cero is tricky enough to make this bet w/ AA, and therefore get away from his hand, I think this is a good illustration as to how you can trap an opponent by massively overbetting preflop w/ AA.

And the times that he does call, of course, cero is in wonderful position to turn his night around. I don't do this every time I get AA, or even often, but I like the play and it *will* occasionally pay off.

-neon
Old 05-14-2005, 08:26 PM

Given your description of the villain, he's not folding anything except aces.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:27 PM

You mean anything BUT Aces?