Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2004, 01:55 PM

Default Collective Outs Challenge

There is considerable belief that the collective outs of bad hands calling in holdem usually turn the high pair "best" but vulnerable hand into an underdog in such a manner that this hand should NOT bet or raise.

I would like to clarify that a hand is a "favorite" if it will win more often than its "fair share" which is 1/n-players in the pot: so if there are 2 opponents (3 players) the fair share of each is 33%; and any hand that will actually win more often than that is a "favorite" and should bet or raise so long as the "underdogs" will call (and probably even if they will fold but I digress...). It can and often DOES happen that more than one hand is a favorite and should raise each other trapping the dog hands.

Here's the challenge. Can anybody please contrive an example of flops and opposing hands where [1] Hero has AK flopping an A or K [2] this pair is the highest on the flop [3] This pair is a favorite heads-up against each opposing hand [4] This pair is an UNDERDOG against the collective field. That is, the "collective outs" of the inferior hands turn Hero's big pair into an underdog and should not bet/raise if all hands were face up.

- Louie

PS. Yes, Heads-up against a straight flush draw the pair is an underdog but that's not a collective-outs issue (it violates condition [3]). And if there is even one more player in the pot Hero is back to being a favorite.

Extra Credit. Lets give hero 88 and its "best"; and I believe you CAN contrive and example where collective outs kill this hand. Even so, such contrived examples will be very rare in real life.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Collective Outs Challenge

http://twodimes.net/poker/?g=h&b=Ac+...+7h%0D%0AJc+Qc

Board A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero has A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (23.5%)

Opponents hold
Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (17.6%)
8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (14.0%)
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (44.9%)

Hero's equity is .235 in a 4-player field, just a hair below par.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Donkey Do

We seem to have one winner; thanks to Nate. I wonder if there is any other fundamentally different situation where the "best" hand isn't a favorite: vrs big flush draw, two straight draws, and Hero's kicker is a loser.

So the only case we came up with where the best hand big pair is NOT a favorite results in Hero being just SLIGHTLY a dog, I'm going to conclude that this "collective outs kill the tight player" stuff is donkey-do.

- Louie
Old 03-12-2004, 06:38 PM

I'm not sure if I'm getting your question correctly, but feasibly someone could hold a pair of Tens like:

Tc Th

...and the flop could come:
9s 6h 5s

In this case, they'd be a favorite against hands like:
1) 3s 2s
2) 9c 7c, perhaps 9c 8c
3) Ac Ks

But against them all, the Tens would win 21%... and yet, I can feasibly see all of these players staying in believing that they have a good shot of winning this hand (or lucked into one).

I'm sure this would happen in other circumstances, too, but I'd agree, it took me about 5 minutes of playing around just to get at this set-up which I felt was somewhat 'reasonable' for people to hang around with... I think you are probably correct for many circumstances.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:31 PM

I am of an average intellegance, your question is just too overwhelming for me. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Im haveing a hard time understanding what it is ur looking for.

Anyhow, that being said or miss said.

Collective outs do kill a fav hand on the flop sometimes, in some cases all the time. Say if you have top pair top kicker and 9 players call, its not to your advantage to be betting and raising, its to the advantage of the best drawing hand. I know everyone knows this, so ill shut up now. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2004, 08:17 PM

I suppose, again, another possibility would be that you hold:

Ad Ah
and flop comes:
Js 6s 9c

and you are against:
1) Td 8d
2) 5s 4s
3) Kc Jc

Truthfully, this seems kinda like looking for a needle in a haystack. I highly doubt all of these people hang around... However, I suppose it is still possible that they all do.. In this case, one has a flush draw and backdoor straight draw, one has an open-ended straight draw, and the other has TP with a good kicker and backdoor flush draw.

In a very non-scientific sense, it looks like you are mostly correct.

As best as I can guess on short notice (which may be way off!), it would appear that your 3 opponents against your higher pair (in these cases) basically need something like:

1) an open ended straight draw
2) a flush draw
3) a TP of the flop

I think this pretty much keeps them all in the hand past the flop, too. However, it is all very sensitive to a simple card or two here and there. In other words, if we make the player holding Kc Jc become Ac Jc (a hand a player might otherwise rather have all else being unknown), the Aces are now up to 28% win... and if the hand becomes Qc Jc, (again, perhaps a better hand in this person's mind), now the Aces are at 30%. Note, that in these changes, I doubt someone who was staying in before would all-of-the-sudden drop because of this change... so even if you sensed a flop 'like this', you probably shouldn't change what you are doing.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:03 AM

A simple example is for just two opposing hands. To
continue with the theme of one of the posts, let the hero
have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] with the flop as

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

and let the other two hands be

A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=239245
pokenum -h ah kc - ad kd - kh qh -- as th 9h
Holdem Hi: 903 enumerated boards containing As Th 9h
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Kc Ah 21 2.33 380 42.08 502 55.59 0.300
Ad Kd 0 0.00 401 44.41 502 55.59 0.276
Kh Qh 380 42.08 514 56.92 9 1.00 0.424

Old 03-13-2004, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Collective outs do kill a fav hand on the flop sometimes, in some cases all the time. Say if you have top pair top kicker and 9 players call, its not to your advantage to be betting and raising, its to the advantage of the best drawing hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

But your TPTK hand doesn't have to be the favorite, it just has to be a favorite.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:56 PM

It's to both of your advantages if you both bet and raise. Understand the 'if it will win more often than its "fair share" which is 1/n-players in the pot: so if there are 2 opponents (3 players) the fair share of each is 33%;' part.
Old 03-13-2004, 03:39 PM

An interesting aside to some of these hands is that, not only does the "current best" trail, but often ends up being the only hand to pay off on the river -- so it loses fair share wise and reversely -- suggesting that even hands with a lower fair share can be in a better spot given reverse implied odds -- that is, even with lower equity, higher EV.

Also, I think the examples show these aren't pathological events, they may be hard to find, but that may be a feature of how a human searches for them, the hands are not so out of the ordinary.