Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Hand from Hollywood Park

This hand is a little fuzzy in my mind, but I thought it was interesting.

$2-$3 blinds $100 max buyin.
First some reads:
The table: in general the table was pretty passive, lots of limping preflop, and a lot of players liked to be overly tricky when they had a hand. There were two players who seemed decent, and the villian was one of them. I had been at the table for a few hours.

My image: I think my image at the table was as a solid player who sometimes got a little out of line. I was not being very loose at this point, but the table may view that I had been. I did show a 64s after I raised it pre-flop, and made a cont bet to take down a small pot. I had been pretty agressive when I was in a hand.

Villian: He had by far the most chips at the table, and had been playing a long session (possibly over 24 hours). I had played with this guy once before, and he always struck me as a tight ABC player. I could not remember if the other time we had played together how I had been playing or what he might think about me. Also, one read was if he raised preflop from early position, he had AA, KK, AK, AQ, JJ, and possibly TT.

Preflop:
First, I think I should have folded preflop, and would have except I was running back from the bathroom when the action was to me, and I thought the guy who was actually in the BB had raised, and not the villian oops, anyway here is how the action went:

Important stacks:
Villian - over $1500
Hero - ~$350

Villian raises to $15 (seems big but is actually standard on this table). 2 callers to me in the CO with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], I call, button calls, and the BB calls.

Flop ($92) - j [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] j [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villian bets $35, fold, fold, Hero calls $35, fold fold

Turn ($162) - 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villian bets $30, Hero raises to $90, Villian thinks about it for a little bit and calls.

River ($342) - 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villian checks, Hero bets $100 (leaving ~ $100 behind)
Old 11-28-2005, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Hand from Hollywood Park

bump. I'm guessing this is standard/boring, but I'll bump it anyway.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:59 PM

I'd probably raise the flop. As played, check behind on the river and expect to take it down UI against either 9T or a lower flush draw.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably raise the flop. As played, check behind on the river and expect to take it down UI against either 9T or a lower flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt you are winning this hand at showdown. Expect to see a medium sized PP, maybe AK. If you think villain is capable of laying down QQ or TT here, your play is ok. You are representing the J. Your river bluff is too small by the way. I prefer a push.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was representing a J and I had the villian on AA, QQ, or KK. I thought of pushing, but I thought this bet was more scary (at least it would have been to me). In other words, i had no problem risking the rest of my chips to buy the pot. That said, I think pushing here might have been correct. Also, if the villian knew me, I might push on the turn, because thats one way I might actually play a J there. I'll see if anyone else wants to comment and I'll post the results.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:52 PM

Umm, I think there is no way that was correct. I am 99% confident in my range on the villian, and after the turn I'm throwing out AK. He was tight in early position.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Results

So villian thought for about a minute, and calls, taking down the pot with AA, everyone else at the table said they were expecting to see a J and would have folded. As it turned out the Villian never lays down a big hand (which I didn't yet know). I put this to good use later as we got our chips in the middle when I was way ahead (ofcourse he was on a tear and hit his 6 outer, and runner runner straight to beat me on those as well [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])
Old 11-28-2005, 09:04 PM

Raise the turn more I think. closer to pot.