Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Not wanting to move up... comfort zone?

Firstly, there's no rule that says you have to move up. Poker isn't about making millions of dollars for most of us.

Secondly, what I do is play one table of the new limit, and concentrate on that, whilst playing 4 (or whatever) tables at my old limit, and autopiloting them. This way, you're going to see quickly that the average players sucks at the new limit too. You'll also get some reads, and adjust to the amount of money here.

Thirdly, you're already thinking in terms of bb/hour, and that's all that matters. You're up in poker, if you lose your bankroll you're still up (I assume), so just think of it in terms of big bets, that's all that matters really.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:16 PM

Hey brit,

I posted something very similar recently and you might want to have a look...

Why Can't I Move Up?
Old 12-25-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi all-

Over about two and a half years I've moved my game up from the nano limits to $1/2 limit and $15-$25 tourneys and I'm profitable.

I'm no gigabet, but it's a rewarding, enjoyable and educative hobby, and at the micro/small stakes level online, I like to think I'm pretty decent (last 20k at 1/2 is +2.3bb/100).

Trouble is, I've got the online bankroll to play up to 3/6 limit (over $2.5k - the rest i spent [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ), but I don't seem able to step up.

I see the games there. I know I should play them. I watch 2/4 and 3/6 and don't see anything scary, but I still go back to my familiar 1/2 game.

I've never had this trouble before. I've felt uncomfortable sure, but not this aversion. The risk actually unnerves me!

Is it because for the first time, It'll feel like sereious money? Do i suspect I'll be over matched? What the best way to deal with an irrational fear like this?

I want to move up to make more money, to improve my skills, and to test myself- in that order. any ideas on why I'm finding it hard to do so- and how to get past it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude you have to just say fu*k it and move up, if you consider yourself an improving player. It's intimidating at first but if you don't try and better yourself by taking your game to a higher level then you'll never improve. You should step up one level and commit to staying there permanently unless basically you run cold and lose 75BB. Just remember to think of the game in terms of bets and not in terms of real cash.